* compiler search paths
@ 1998-03-30 16:18 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 1998-03-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Is it possible to set the search paths of -B, -L, -I etc. in the specs
file?

zw

* Re: compiler search paths
@ 1998-04-01 16:53 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-04-01 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: egcs

	Is it possible to set the search paths of -B, -L, -I etc. in the specs
	file?

It is possible.  It is not recommended.  You should configure and install
gcc so that the search paths are correct to begin with.

Jim

* Re: compiler search paths
@ 1998-04-01 17:56   ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 1998-04-01 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Wilson; +Cc: egcs

On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 16:37:25 -0800, Jim Wilson wrote:
>	Is it possible to set the search paths of -B, -L, -I etc. in the specs
>	file?
>
>It is possible.  It is not recommended.  You should configure and install
>gcc so that the search paths are correct to begin with.

There's a sticky bootstrap problem when trying to arrange a libc6
native compiler when libc6 is installed in some strange location.  I
don't want to break the entire system if devel libc is unstable one
week, so I keep it in a corner of the filesystem.

The goal is to have a compiler driver that can be switched between
libc5 and libc6 with -b options.  A first approximation is available
by editing the specs appropriately and adding some symlinks.  That
compiler can then be used as BOOT_CC to 3-stage a native compiler, but
I don't see how I get out of editing somebody's specs -- there is only
one compiler driver, and it will have one or other set of paths
hardcoded.

Or is there some easy way to do this that I'm overlooking?

zw

* Re: compiler search paths
@ 1998-04-02 11:32 ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 1998-04-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: egcs

> Is it possible to set the search paths of -B, -L, -I etc. in the specs
> file?

Yes.  Note, however, that the specs are not an interface that you can rely
on remaining unchanged in future versions.

AFAIK the only documentation we have on specs is the comment in gcc.c that
starts:
Specs are strings containing lines...

* Re: compiler search paths
@ 1998-04-03 21:52 Michael Meissner
From: Michael Meissner @ 1998-04-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wilson, zack; +Cc: egcs

| 	Is it possible to set the search paths of -B, -L, -I etc. in the specs
| 	file?
|
| It is possible.  It is not recommended.  You should configure and install
| gcc so that the search paths are correct to begin with.

You can set -L and -I.  However, you cannot set -B, -b, or -V which are handled
directly by the gcc command.