* Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-27 15:18 Phil Romig
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Phil Romig @ 1998-03-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).

I have encountered a couple of problems.

1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
   "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
   my other problem is related to a bad configuration.

2) During the build, I get errors when it tries to use genattr and
   cpp.  Both errors are the same:

     make[2]: Entering directory /usr/dist/src/egcs-build/gcc'
     ./genattr ../../egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h
     /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory

  But oddly enough genattr does exist:

    [root@bierstadt egcs-build]# ls -l egcs-build/gcc/genattr
    -rwx------ 1 root root 69587 Mar 27 10:05 egcs-build/gcc/genattr

  So I say to myself, "self I say: must be a library problem, try removing
  the file to be sure it is using libraries we have."  Which I do, and that
  fixes the problem until the next time ./cpp (i.e. cccp) is needed.
  Then I get the same error for cpp, and I fix that by removing cccp and
  the build starts again.

  However this is the third time I've gone through this process and I'm
  starting to suspect that these programs depend on each other, because
  I still have not made it to the stage1 compiler yet.

Any hints/suggestions/similar experiences?

thanks
Phil
romig@cse.unl.edu

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-28 19:24 ` Jeffrey A Law
                     ` (2 more replies)
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-03-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Romig; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 199803271627.KAA28661@bierstadt.unl.edu >you write:

  > I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).
  >
  > I have encountered a couple of problems.
  >
  > 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
  >    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
  >    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.
  >
  > 2) During the build, I get errors when it tries to use genattr and
  >    cpp.  Both errors are the same:
  >
  >      make[2]: Entering directory /usr/dist/src/egcs-build/gcc'
  >      ./genattr ../../egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h
  >      /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory
  >
  >   But oddly enough genattr does exist:
  >
  >     [root@bierstadt egcs-build]# ls -l egcs-build/gcc/genattr
  >     -rwx------ 1 root root 69587 Mar 27 10:05 egcs-build/gcc/genattr
We've seen this before, but hell if I can remember what the problem
was.  Might a problem with the dynamic linker, libraries or something
like that.

jeff

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-29  5:14 ` H.J. Lu
From: H.J. Lu @ 1998-03-29  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Romig; +Cc: egcs

> I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).
>
> I have encountered a couple of problems.
>
> 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied

How come? BTW, you need binutils 2.8.1.0.23 or above.

>    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect

Bad name for libc 5.

>    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.
>

> Any hints/suggestions/similar experiences?

1. Find out why configure can't guess what kind of system you have.
Send me the output of

./egcs-1.0.2/config.guess

2. As the last resort, use "i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1".

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-30 16:18   ` Benoit Poulot-Cazajous
From: Benoit Poulot-Cazajous @ 1998-03-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: Phil Romig, egcs

>   In message < 199803271627.KAA28661@bierstadt.unl.edu >you write:
>   >
>   > I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).
>   >
>   > I have encountered a couple of problems.
>   >
>   > 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
>   >    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
>   >    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.
>   >
>   > 2) During the build, I get errors when it tries to use genattr and
>   >    cpp.  Both errors are the same:
>   >
>   >      make[2]: Entering directory /usr/dist/src/egcs-build/gcc'
>   >      ./genattr ../../egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h
>   >      /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory
>   >

> We've seen this before, but hell if I can remember what the problem
> was.  Might a problem with the dynamic linker, libraries or something
> like that.

i586-pc-linux implies glibc2. Try to configure for i586-linux-gnulibc1,
it worked for me.

  -- Benoit

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-03-30 17:28 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 1998-03-30 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Romig; +Cc: egcs

Phil Romig <romig@bierstadt.unl.edu> writes:

|> I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).

|> I have encountered a couple of problems.

|> 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
|>    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
|>    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.

You should use i586-pc-linuxlibc1 as configuration.  Otherwise you'll get
a compiler that assumes you have GNU libc (libc version 6) installed,
which apparently you have not.

--
Andreas Schwab                                      "And now for something
schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de              completely different"

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-30 17:28 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-03-30 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Romig; +Cc: egcs

	1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.

Why do you say that?  Did you get an error from configure?  What was the
error?

	  I supplied
	   "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.

I think that is wrong.  Try i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1.  You must use -gnulibc1
if you are using libc5.

     /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory

This is the classic `missing interpreter' problem.  Executables have an
interpreter field.  This is a shell for a shell script, and it is a dynamic
linker for dynamically linked programs.  If the interpreter is missing, you
get a `No such file or directory' message, but it reports the executable file
name not the interpreter name.  It is the dyanmic linker that is missing,
and that is probably because you configured wrong.

Jim

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-31  0:46   ` Manfred Hollstein
From: Manfred Hollstein @ 1998-03-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romig; +Cc: law, egcs

On Sat, 28 March 1998, 15:27:43, law@cygnus.com wrote:

 >   In message <199803271627.KAA28661@bierstadt.unl.edu>you write:
 >   >
 >   > I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).
					      !!!!!!!!!!
 >   >
 >   > I have encountered a couple of problems.
 >   >
 >   > 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
 >   >    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
	   !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 >   >    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.
 >   >
 >   > 2) During the build, I get errors when it tries to use genattr and
 >   >    cpp.  Both errors are the same:
 >   >
 >   >      make[2]: Entering directory /usr/dist/src/egcs-build/gcc'
 >   >      ./genattr ../../egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h
 >   >      /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory
 >   >
 >   >   But oddly enough genattr does exist:
 >   >
 >   >     [root@bierstadt egcs-build]# ls -l egcs-build/gcc/genattr
 >   >     -rwx------ 1 root root 69587 Mar 27 10:05 egcs-build/gcc/genattr
 > We've seen this before, but hell if I can remember what the problem
 > was.  Might a problem with the dynamic linker, libraries or something
 > like that.

You said, you    are using libc5,  but  told   gcc to configure    for
`i586-pc-linux'  which is aka libc6  (or glibc).  Since you don't have
the following files installed on your machine:

  /lib/ld-linux.so.2
  /lib/libc.so.6

you're getting a (I must admit) at least `confusing' error message.
The `No such file or directory' is caused by /lib/ld-linux.so.2's
absence.

Unless you actually   have   glibc  installed, you  should     specify
`i586-linux-gnulibc1' to configure.  But, normally config.guess should
find this for  you;  perhaps, you should   try to investigate, why  it
fails on your particular system.

manfred

* Re: Trouble with genattr and 1.0.2 under linux
@ 1998-03-31  0:46   ` Hannes.Loeffler
From: Hannes.Loeffler @ 1998-03-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

>   In message <199803271627.KAA28661@bierstadt.unl.edu>you write:
>   >
>   > I'm trying to build 1.0.2 under linux (libc ver 5, kernel ver 2.0.31).
>   >
>   > I have encountered a couple of problems.
>   >
>   > 1) configure can't guess what kind of system I have.  I supplied
>   >    "i586-pc-linux" and that seemed to make it happy.  However I suspect
>   >    my other problem is related to a bad configuration.
>   >
>   > 2) During the build, I get errors when it tries to use genattr and
>   >    cpp.  Both errors are the same:
>   >
>   >      make[2]: Entering directory /usr/dist/src/egcs-build/gcc'
>   >      ./genattr ../../egcs-1.0.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h
>   >      /bin/sh: ./genattr: No such file or directory
>   >
>   >   But oddly enough genattr does exist:
>   >
>   >     [root@bierstadt egcs-build]# ls -l egcs-build/gcc/genattr
>   >     -rwx------ 1 root root 69587 Mar 27 10:05 egcs-build/gcc/genattr
> We've seen this before, but hell if I can remember what the problem
> was.  Might a problem with the dynamic linker, libraries or something
> like that.
>
> jeff

I had a similar problem recently when compiling gcc 2.7.2.3 on Linux/Alpha. A
strings on genattr revealed that genattr tries to start /lib/ld.so.1 which my
system doesn't have (RedHat 5.0 with ld-2.0.7.so).