* exceptions and RTTI and mixed code
@ 1998-04-03 21:52 Todd Vierling
From: Todd Vierling @ 1998-04-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'm not sure this has been asked.  I'm unofficially helping integrate egcs
into NetBSD, and I'd like to know if gcc 2.8/egcs can handle mixing code
with exceptions and RTTI (as by default) and code without it can be mixed.
The libstdc++ is built as a shared library, so it obviously can only be one
or the other, not both.  So, if it has RTTI and exceptions compiled in, can
user code be linked to it without using RTTI and exceptions?

* Re: exceptions and RTTI and mixed code
@ 1998-04-04 20:05 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-04-04 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Vierling; +Cc: egcs

> I'm not sure this has been asked.  I'm unofficially helping integrate egcs
> into NetBSD, and I'd like to know if gcc 2.8/egcs can handle mixing code
> with exceptions and RTTI (as by default) and code without it can be mixed.
> The libstdc++ is built as a shared library, so it obviously can only be one
> or the other, not both.  So, if it has RTTI and exceptions compiled in, can
> user code be linked to it without using RTTI and exceptions?

The answer is supposed to be yes: if you build libstdc++ in the normal
way, you can link code to it that has -fno-exceptions and -fno-rtti.
However, *don't* try to build libstdc++ without those flags; you'll
have trouble.

(I say "supposed to be" because I can't guarantee that there is no
platform-specific bug somewhere, but it should work).