* problems with SCO Open Server.
@ 1998-04-05 17:27 Ruslan Shevchenko
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ruslan Shevchenko @ 1998-04-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

1. texinfo is still break build.
2. --enable-shared don't work.
   (compiler say, that -mcoff and -fpic  can not be used in one time  on
stage2)

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto:Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA

* Re: problems with SCO Open Server.
@ 1998-04-05 21:29 ` Jean-Pierre Radley
From: Jean-Pierre Radley @ 1998-04-05 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EGCS Developers

Ruslan Shevchenko telecommunicated (on 06Apr):

| 1. texinfo is still break build.

Uh, how??  The errors I reported the last few daws?

| 2. --enable-shared don't work.
|    (compiler say, that -mcoff and -fpic  can not be used in one time  on
| stage2)

Why do you want to do that?  By default, you'll get ELF binaries using
the *.so libraries. Why build COFF binaries on OSR 5???

--
Jean-Pierre Radley <jpr@jpr.com>  XC/XT Custodian   Sysop, CompuServe SCOForum

* Re: problems with SCO Open Server.
@ 1998-04-06  6:23 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-04-06  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rssh; +Cc: egcs

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> 1. texinfo is still break build.

In what way?

Have you had a look at http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#autoconf/bison++ ?
Does your problem still occur if you use the script there[1]?

Gerald

[1] For now, you have to remove three occurrences of"-$date", but
    I've already mailed Jeff about that.
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: problems with SCO Open Server.
@ 1998-04-06 17:35   ` Ruslan Shevchenko
From: Ruslan Shevchenko @ 1998-04-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Pierre Radley; +Cc: EGCS Developers

Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

> Ruslan Shevchenko telecommunicated (on 06Apr):
>
> | 1. texinfo is still break build.
>
> Uh, how??  The errors I reported the last few daws?

The same as in you message:

\begin{quotation}

erald Pfeifer telecommunicated (on 05Apr):
| On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
| ? rm -f ../../../texinfo/po/texinfo.pot
| ? mv texinfo.po ../../../texinfo/po/texinfo.pot
| ? mv: cannot access texinfo.po: No such file or directory (error 2)
|
| Please have a look at http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#autoconf/bison++ .
|
| (You should remove "-$date" in those three lines where it appears, but
| after that it should work.)

Thanks, I applied those few lines of touch commands, but now it barfs
further on with:

        make[3]: Entering directory `/s/tools/egcs/obj/texinfo/po'
        file=../../../texinfo/po/`echo de | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
          ?? rm -f $file ?? PATH=../src:$PATH msgfmt -o $file
          ../../../texinfo/po/de.po
          /bin/sh: msgfmt: not found
\end{quotation}

(when I create /usr/local/bin/msgfmt as dummy script, which return true, all all.

> | 2. --enable-shared don't work.
> |    (compiler say, that -mcoff and -fpic  can not be used in one time  on
> | stage2)
>
> Why do you want to do that?  By default, you'll get ELF binaries using
> the *.so libraries. Why build COFF binaries on OSR 5???

the configure command was  ../egcs/configure --enable-shared. It was break.

currently I have no *.so under /usr/local/lib/i586-pc-sco3.2v5.0.4/egcs-2.91.19/

So, it does not do .so libraries by default.
(Or I missing somethimg ?)

From: Ruslan Shevchenko @ 1998-04-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: rssh, egcs

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> ? 1. texinfo is still break build.
>
> In what way?
>
> Have you had a look at http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#autoconf/bison++ ?
> Does your problem still occur if you use the script there[1]?
>
> Gerald

Bu I have autoconf/bison.

I describe, how I finish configuring in previous posting
(cp /dev/NULL texinfo/pod/PODFILES;   set msgfmt to dummy script, which
return true).

If you need the know, is promlem go away after applying this script(i.e.
autoconf/bison),
I can test this.

@ 1998-04-06 17:35 ` Robert Lipe
From: Robert Lipe @ 1998-04-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rssh, egcs

Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
> 1. texinfo is still break build.

THis has been discussed on the list before.   Patches have been disucssed,
though I'm unsure what percentage of them have been committed.

> 2. --enable-shared don't work.
>    (compiler say, that -mcoff and -fpic  can not be used in one time  on
> stage2)

I believe enable-shared to be unnecessary on OpenServer becuase we already
multilib everything in sight generating COFF, ELF, and ELF+PIC versions.
--enable-shared tries to 'dumb down' this logic and it loses.

If there's something specific that enable-shared does that you see isn't
being done by the default 'make bootstrap' on OpenServer, please provide
details.

RJL

* Re: problems with SCO Open Server.
@ 1998-04-09 14:17     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-04-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rssh; +Cc: egcs

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:
>> Have you had a look at http://egcs.cygnus.com/faq.html#autoconf/bison++ ?
>> Does your problem still occur if you use the script there[1]?
> Bu I have autoconf/bison.

That's a good point.

Perhaps we should change that "#autoconf/bison++" to "#generated_files"
or similiar (and only keep the old name for backwards compatibility) to
avoid further confusion? -- Jeff?

Gerald
--

@ 1998-04-09 21:50       ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-09 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: rssh, egcs

  In message < Pine.GSO.3.96.980409220653.413P-100000@alcyone.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
  > That's a good point.
  >
  > Perhaps we should change that "#autoconf/bison++" to "#generated_files"
  > or similiar (and only keep the old name for backwards compatibility) to
  > avoid further confusion? -- Jeff?
Done.  Note that the link header still mentions bison, autoconf,
automake, etc since that's what I suspect more folks will actually
be looking for.

jeff