* function name in printf()
@ 2000-01-20 20:46 Jim Reekes
From: Jim Reekes @ 2000-01-20 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm hoping to create a debugging macro that will have access to the
current function's name. For example, a macro has access to the file and
current line number, but I'd like to know which function I'm currently
in as well. Here's a psuedo-code example:

int FooBar(void)
{
  if (Blah() == -1)
    printf("Blah failed in \n", __FUNC__);
}

The goal is for the console to display "Blah failed in FooBar".

So the question is, how can I get the symbol name of the current
function?

Jim

* Re: function name in printf()
@ 2000-01-20 20:53 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-20 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Reekes; +Cc: gcc

Jim> I'm hoping to create a debugging macro that will have access to the
Jim> current function's name. For example, a macro has access to the file and
Jim> current line number, but I'd like to know which function I'm currently
Jim> in as well.

Jim> So the question is, how can I get the symbol name of the current
Jim> function?

	Look under "Function Names as Strings" in the C Extensions section
of the GCC documentation which discusses predefines __FUNCTION__ and
__PRETTY_FUNCTION__ -- depending on your need.

David