* help novice user on Linux
@ 2000-01-21 13:40 dnguye8
From: dnguye8 @ 2000-01-21 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Dear Help,

I just installed redhat linux 6.0 on to my ultrasparc 1.
I then created a simple C program 'prog1.c' whose purpose was to print out
"HELLO".  Typing 'gcc prog1.c' @ the prompt caused no errors to show.  But
the word "HELLO" did not print neither.  I tried to type 'a.out' at the
prompt but the command was not recognized (that's what I learned in my
beginnner's programming class).  Please help me get this compiler up and
running.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Yummy Nguyen

* Re: help novice user on Linux
@ 2000-01-21 14:29 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-01-21 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnguye8; +Cc: egcs

Yummy Nguyen wrote:
> I just installed redhat linux 6.0 on to my ultrasparc 1.
> I then created a simple C program 'prog1.c' whose purpose was to print out
> "HELLO".  Typing 'gcc prog1.c' @ the prompt caused no errors to show.  But
> the word "HELLO" did not print neither.  I tried to type 'a.out' at the
> prompt but the command was not recognized (that's what I learned in my
> beginnner's programming class).  Please help me get this compiler up and
> running.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

I think the compiler already works, but you don't have the current
directory in your path (you're running as root? don't). Try ./a.out
instead.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* Re: help novice user on Linux
@ 2000-01-21 14:40 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2000-01-21 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dnguye8; +Cc: egcs

Yummy Nguyen writes:

> Dear Help,

Sorry, but this is not a "help" list.  This is the development list,
intended for developers and serious testers of gcc, not for beginners.
Your particular problem is that the current directory is not included in
your PATH.  But if you have further trouble after this, please don't
ask for help on this list.

You can find the gcc help list on Usenet, at gnu.gcc.help (you can
search gnu.gcc.help by using deja.com on the web).