* Install error
@ 2000-01-19 10:54 Saqueb Ali
From: Saqueb Ali @ 2000-01-19 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi.
When I am trying to install the .bff file by running smit install_latest, I
get the following error. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Saqueb Ali

Filesets listed in this section failed pre-installation verification
   and will not be installed.

   Requisite Failures
   ------------------
   SELECTED FILESETS:  The following is a list of filesets that you asked to
   install.  They cannot be installed until all of their requisite filesets
   are also installed.  See subsequent lists for details of requisites.

     freeware.gnu.gcc.rte 2.8.1.0              # GNU C Compilers

MISSING REQUISITES:  The following filesets are required by one or more
   of the selected filesets listed above.  They are not currently installed
   and could not be found on the installation media.

     bos.adt.base 4.1.0.0                      # Base Level Fileset
     bos.adt.include 4.1.0.0                   # Base Level Fileset

   << End of Failure Section >>

--
Saqueb Ali
Webmaster, AISR Systems Dept.

* Re: Install error
@ 2000-01-19 13:08 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-01-19 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: gcc

On Jan 19, 2000, Saqueb Ali <Saqueb.Ali@mail.tju.edu> wrote:

> When I am trying to install the .bff file by running smit
> install_latest, I get the following error.

You didn't get those .bff files from the GCC site, since we don't make
binary distributions.  You should contact whoever made them available
for installation instructions.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br,guarana.{org,com}} aoliva@{acm,computer}.org

* Re: Install error
@ 2000-01-19 14:21 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-19 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: gcc

	I assume that you are referring to GCC for AIX and that you
downloaded the pre-built installp images from http://www-frec.bull.com/ .
gcc-2.8.1 has not been distributed by the Bull website for a long time, so
I am surprised that you are trying to us it.  You do not mention which
release of AIX you are using, but I assume it is AIX 4.1 from the error
you received.

	GCC requires the system header files and libraries in order to
operate.  The errors you received from installp refer to some base AIX
filesets which are not installed on your system and need to be installed
before you can install GCC.  You can install those filesets from the AIX
installation CDs; you do not need a compiler license in order to install
and use the header files and libraries.

	Additionally, I would suggest that you use gcc-2.95.2 (or
egcs-1.1.2 if you cannot find a distribution of gcc-2.95 for AIX 4.1)
instead of gcc-2.8.1 which did not support AIX very well.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

* sh undefined
@ 2000-01-20  8:32   ` Saqueb Ali
From: Saqueb Ali @ 2000-01-20  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am running AIX 4.2.1 and I am now loading gcc2.95.2. After the
installation was over, I got quite a few error messages on the SMIT window
similar to
***
Could not load program /usr/local/lib/gcc-2.95.2/fixincl
Symbol putc_unlocked in sh is undefined
Error was: Exec format error
Cleaning up DONE files.
Removing unneeded directories:
Could not load program /usr/local/bin/gcc
Symbol putc_unlocked in sh is undefined
Error was: Exec format error
***

I also try to run ./dofix under /usr/local/lib/gcc-2.95.2 but I get same
error. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Saqueb Ali

--
Saqueb Ali
Webmaster, AISR Systems Dept.
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Tel: 215-503-3126  Fax: 215-923-3203

* Re: sh undefined
@ 2000-01-20  8:59     ` David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2000-01-20  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:31:00AM -0500, Saqueb Ali wrote:
> I am running AIX 4.2.1 and I am now loading gcc2.95.2. After the
> installation was over, I got quite a few error messages on the SMIT window
> similar to
> ***
> Could not load program /usr/local/lib/gcc-2.95.2/fixincl
You're using a binary installation some else provided. Please
talk to them about these problems. However,

> Symbol putc_unlocked in sh is undefined
Looks like a bug in your AIX installation. Does /bin/sh work at
all?

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you wish to strive for peace of soul then believe;

* Re: sh undefined
@ 2000-01-20 10:35     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-20 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: gcc, David Starner

Saqueb> I am running AIX 4.2.1 and I am now loading gcc2.95.2. After the
Saqueb> Could not load program /usr/local/lib/gcc-2.95.2/fixincl
Saqueb> Symbol putc_unlocked in sh is undefined
Saqueb> Error was: Exec format error

	This has nothing to do with an AIX installation error.  You have
used an installation image that was built for a more recent version of AIX
than you are running.  Those errors mean that the binary is trying to
access an older version of an AIX library.  AIX only provides backward
compatibility, not forward compatibility.  The rest of the installation
will not work either.  I am surprised that the installation proceeded at
all.

	The Bull website only has gcc-2.95.2 for AIX 4.3, the last time I
checked, and you say that you are running AIX 4.2.1 which ae not
compatible.  I believe that there is an egcs-1.1.2 binary for AIX 4.1.5
and above which should work.  You then can build gcc-2.95.2 for AIX 4.2.1
yourself.

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

* compiler error
@ 2000-01-26  6:26       ` Saqueb Ali
From: Saqueb Ali @ 2000-01-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dstarner98; +Cc: gcc

I installed gcc 2.95.2 for AIX 4.3. MY OS is also AIX 4.3. It installed
without giving an error message. When I tried to use gcc to compile a
program, it gives error

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Saqueb Ali

--
Saqueb Ali
Webmaster, AISR Systems Dept.
Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Tel: 215-503-3126  Fax: 215-923-3203

* Re: compiler error
@ 2000-01-26  7:42         ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-26  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: dstarner98, gcc

Saqueb> I installed gcc 2.95.2 for AIX 4.3. MY OS is also AIX 4.3. It installed
Saqueb> without giving an error message. When I tried to use gcc to compile a
Saqueb> program, it gives error

Saqueb> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
Saqueb> create executables.

	Do you have the AIX bind_cmds fileset installed to provide the
assembler and linker?  Do you have the development libraries installed?
If I remember from last time, your AIX system did not have most of the
development filesets installed -- it was set up as a turnkey system.

David

* Re: compiler error
@ 2000-01-26 11:41           ` Saqueb Ali
From: Saqueb Ali @ 2000-01-26 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dje; +Cc: gcc

Hi. Sorry to bother you again. But, I need some further help. I already
upgraded to AIX 4.3.3 from 4.2 and bind_cmds filesets got installed with
it. When you say "development libraries installed", can you tell me what
kind of file sets are we looking for or any names. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Saqueb Ali

--

@ 2000-01-26 11:49             ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2000-01-26 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saqueb Ali; +Cc: gcc

Saqueb> Hi. Sorry to bother you again. But, I need some further help. I already
Saqueb> upgraded to AIX 4.3.3 from 4.2 and bind_cmds filesets got installed with
Saqueb> it. When you say "development libraries installed", can you tell me what
Saqueb> kind of file sets are we looking for or any names. Any help is appreciated.

Saqueb> I installed gcc 2.95.2 for AIX 4.3. MY OS is also AIX 4.3. It installed
Saqueb> without giving an error message. When I tried to use gcc to compile a
Saqueb> program, it gives error
Saqueb> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
Saqueb> create executables.

	Why don't you try running your GCC installation directly and see
what error message it is producing.  The above error message is from the
configure script of some application and is not providing any detail about
what is wrong.  How about trying to compile a "Hello, World!" program?  If
you need to, us "gcc -v" to get more detail and see which phase of
compiling a simple application is failing.  Then you should know what
system utility or library is missing.

	You installed GCC in the default location?  You have gcc and the
AIX standard directories in your path?  The installed GCC has correct
permissions for you to be able to execute all of the programs?

David

* Re: compiler error
@ 2003-03-31 22:32 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-03-31 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morris Muller; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:03:37PM -0500, Morris Muller wrote:

> 	I'm getting the following error
> 		undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'
> 	can someone tell me what this error means, please.
>
> 	I'm using Red Hat 8.0 and gcc version 3.2

Use the g++ command to link a C++ program, not gcc.

* compiler error
@ 2003-03-31 22:15 Morris Muller
From: Morris Muller @ 2003-03-31 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

	I'm getting the following error
		undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'
	can someone tell me what this error means, please.

	I'm using Red Hat 8.0 and gcc version 3.2

thanks,
morris

* Re: Compiler Error
@ 2000-05-09 13:53 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-05-09 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Xu; +Cc: gcc, Ty V. Duong

  In message < OF76B9EFFB.2BDF8B46-ON862568DA.00713EA8@deerfield.baxter.com >you
write:

  > Hi,
  > We've downloaded the GCC 2.95.2 to compile a C file. It was
  >      compiled successfully with the old version of GCC compiler. But we got
  >      error messages while trying to compile it with GCC 2.95.2. Please tell
  >      us where the problem is. Or please provide us the user name and
  >      password to access the ftp://egcs.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/releases .
  >      so that we can download an older version of GCC. Thank you very much.
You have configured gcc to expect/use gas, but it is finding the HP
assembler first.  See the FAQ.
jeff

* Compiler Error
@ 2000-05-09 13:40 Richard Xu
From: Richard Xu @ 2000-05-09 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Richard Xu, Ty V. Duong

Hi,
We've downloaded the GCC 2.95.2 to compile a C file. It was
     compiled successfully with the old version of GCC compiler. But we got
     error messages while trying to compile it with GCC 2.95.2. Please tell
     us where the problem is. Or please provide us the user name and
     password to access the ftp://egcs.cygnus.com:/pub/egcs/releases .
     so that we can download an older version of GCC. Thank you very much.

     Richard
     847-948-4279

     >>gcc -I. -I /opt/sybase/1103/include -D_HPUX_SOURCE -c ueStProc.c

     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 61: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 321: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 438: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 487: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - BEGIN_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 508: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - END_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 622: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - BEGIN_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 643: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - END_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 811: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - BEGIN_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 830: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - END_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1011: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1012: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - PARAM
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1080: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - BEGIN_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1099: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - END_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1160: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1161: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - PARAM
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1255: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - BEGIN_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1270: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - END_BRTAB
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1609: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1721: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1807: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - NSUBSPA
     as: "/var/tmp/ccMrSkJd.s", line 1808: error 1052: Directive name not
     recognized - PARAM