* Re: filebuf::fd()
       [not found] <20011203010027.A13939@disaster.jaj.com>
@ 2001-12-09 20:07 ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2001-12-09 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libstdc++; +Cc: gcc

[I'm expanding this discussion to the larger gcc list.  We don't have
anything approaching consensus yet, and the clock is ticking for 3.1...]

There've been about 10 followups to my proposed patch on 3 December:

Ignore the 0 -> NULL rewrite; they convinced me to drop it.

A summary, to avoid having the same debate for a third time:

Gaby and I are of the same opinion:  we should be exposing the same pointer
that the library itself uses as a wrapper layer, and not be making any
assumptions about what lies beneath, especially since the library itself
never uses a file descriptor.

Nathan feels we should be doing more work with a file descriptor, that
the patch I posted is the right approach, and that "since the library
itself never uses a file descriptor" is in fact a bug.  This seems to be
more popular.

Theo Papadopoulo provided a good summary and overview later on the same day;
his message is in the archives.

If we're going to provide this as an extension in 3.1, we need to finalize
this before the end of Phase 2, six days from now.

I'd also like to agree on a method of disabling such extensions, as
pointed to in my posting above.  Preferably on a more selective basis than
all-or-none, but whatever.  (I have an __attribute__ patch in my local
tree that would help, I think, but it's currently a piece of crap.  *grin*)

Phil

only message in thread, other threads:[~2001-12-10  3:47 UTC | newest]