* GCC silently miscompiling code on x86
@ 2002-08-22 15:53 Greg Schafer
From: Greg Schafer @ 2002-08-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello gcc hackers!

This is very bad for i686. Many continue to get hit by this. H J Lu has
proposed some patches but they remain unreviewed. Could somebody kindly
take a look at these and get this sorted?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

* Re: GCC silently miscompiling code on x86
@ 2002-08-22 19:38 ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2002-08-22 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Schafer; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:54:00AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Hello gcc hackers!
>
> This is very bad for i686. Many continue to get hit by this. H J Lu has
> proposed some patches but they remain unreviewed. Could somebody kindly
> take a look at these and get this sorted?

I am enclosing an update for this one. There is no regression on
Linux/i386/i586/i686.

H.J.

* Re: GCC silently miscompiling code on x86
@ 2002-08-29 12:04 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2002-08-29 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Schafer; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:54:00AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> This is very bad for i686. Many continue to get hit by this. H J Lu has
> proposed some patches but they remain unreviewed. Could somebody kindly
> take a look at these and get this sorted?

As far as I can tell, HJ's patch doesn't work.  Certainly
it didn't change the output for the given test case at all.

I have a different patch that I started some time ago before I
left on vacation that fixes this bug, as well as the variable
sized structure copy bug as seen in execute/20020412-1.c.

r~

* Re: GCC silently miscompiling code on x86
@ 2002-08-29 15:03   ` Greg Schafer
From: Greg Schafer @ 2002-08-29 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:04:43PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:54:00AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > This is very bad for i686. Many continue to get hit by this. H J Lu has
> > proposed some patches but they remain unreviewed. Could somebody kindly
> > take a look at these and get this sorted?
>
> As far as I can tell, HJ's patch doesn't work.  Certainly
> it didn't change the output for the given test case at all.

That was not my experience at all. HJ's patch here:-

fixed 20020412-1.c for me. And this one:-

fixes the test case in GNATS PR 7591.

I am compiling everything at -march=i686

> I have a different patch that I started some time ago before I
> left on vacation that fixes this bug, as well as the variable
> sized structure copy bug as seen in execute/20020412-1.c.

Ok, cool, I would love to test it out. Is it ready for consumption?

@ 2002-08-29 16:26     ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 2002-08-29 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Schafer; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 08:03:07AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > I have a different patch that I started some time ago before I
> > left on vacation that fixes this bug, as well as the variable
> > sized structure copy bug as seen in execute/20020412-1.c.
>
> Ok, cool, I would love to test it out. Is it ready for consumption?

Yes, committed to mainline today.

r~

* Re: GCC silently miscompiling code on x86
@ 2002-08-30 21:25   ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2002-08-30 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson, Greg Schafer, gcc

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:04:43PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 08:54:00AM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > This is very bad for i686. Many continue to get hit by this. H J Lu has
> > proposed some patches but they remain unreviewed. Could somebody kindly
> > take a look at these and get this sorted?
>
> As far as I can tell, HJ's patch doesn't work.  Certainly
> it didn't change the output for the given test case at all.

I guess people may tell you otherwise.

> I have a different patch that I started some time ago before I
> left on vacation that fixes this bug, as well as the variable
> sized structure copy bug as seen in execute/20020412-1.c.

I am looking forward to it.

H.J.