* Compatibility between gcc versions
@ 2002-08-30 14:31 Send Here
From: Send Here @ 2002-08-30 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is there a single page on http://gcc.gnu.org that
describes compatibility issues between versions of
gcc?  I noticed http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html#known
describes "Common problems updating from G++ 2.95 to
G++ 3.0", and http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.2/changes.html
has some "Caveats", but is there a general page that
puts it all together?

Specifically, we use gcc2.9 and are wondering what's
the latest gcc we can upgrade to without having
compatibility problems with legacy modules that we
link in.  Our platforms are Solaris 2.[678], HP
10.10/11, Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Thanks!

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: Compatibility between gcc versions
@ 2002-08-30 14:39 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-08-30 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Send Here; +Cc: gcc

Here is the general overview:

if the code is written in C++, you are out of luck, you have to get the
code and recompile it.
Otherwise you are fine, do not worry about the C++ ABI changes between
gcc.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

@ 2002-08-30 16:26 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-08-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Send Here; +Cc: gcc

> Is there a single page on http://gcc.gnu.org that
> describes compatibility issues between versions of
> gcc?

Generally, C language code is compatible across versions, while C++
language code has historically only been compatible with other compiler
versions that share the same first two numbers (e.g. 2.95.2 vs 2.95.3).

We've been attempting to change this by standardizing on a cross-vendor
C++ ABI for 3.2.  This has not yet been 100% successful, but 3.3 should be
ABI compatible with 3.2.

> Specifically, we use gcc2.9 and are wondering what's
> the latest gcc we can upgrade to without having
> compatibility problems with legacy modules that we
> link in.  Our platforms are Solaris 2.[678], HP
> 10.10/11, Red Hat Linux 7.2.

There was never a 2.9, did you mean 2.95?  If so, the answer is 2.95.3.
Red Hat's 2.96-RH is not binary compatible, and neither is 3.0.

* Re: Compatibility between gcc versions
@ 2002-09-03  8:00   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2002-09-03  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck, component0; +Cc: gcc

>> Specifically, we use gcc2.9 and are wondering what's
>> the latest gcc we can upgrade to without having
>> compatibility problems with legacy modules that we
>> link in.  Our platforms are Solaris 2.[678], HP
>> 10.10/11, Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Joe> There was never a 2.9, did you mean 2.95?  If so, the answer is 2.95.3.
Joe> Red Hat's 2.96-RH is not binary compatible, and neither is 3.0.

	GCC "2.9" is the version number that Cygnus/Red Hat used in their
GNUPro product for releases to some customers.  Because Cygnus/Red Hat
branched for different customers at different time, compatibility with FSF
GCC releases is unlikely.

David