* iostream question
@ 2002-10-15  3:50 Robert Schweikert
From: Robert Schweikert @ 2002-10-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am trying to compile a large application with gcc 3.2, (porting from
gcc 2.95.2) and am getting errors like this.

/home/rjschwei/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/iostream.h:35: using
declaration
   `ostream' introduced ambiguous type `ostream'

The application uses iostream.h, converting to iostream is not an option.At first glance it looks like most error come from template files.

Any hints on tracking this problem down are appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei@cox.net                               LINUX

* Re: iostream question
@ 2002-10-15  4:29 ` Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2002-10-15  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Schweikert; +Cc: gcc

Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@cox.net> writes:

| I am trying to compile a large application with gcc 3.2, (porting from
| gcc 2.95.2) and am getting errors like this.
|
| /home/rjschwei/local/include/c++/3.2/backward/iostream.h:35: using
| declaration
|    `ostream' introduced ambiguous type `ostream'

Did your application already declared ostream before #include <iostream.h>?
(I suspect that is the case).  If so, then, you no option but delete
that forward-declaration.

-- Gaby

* Re: iostream question
@ 2002-10-17  6:51     ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2002-10-17  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Schweikert; +Cc: Gabriel Dos Reis, gcc

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 08:52:53PM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> OK,
>
> Are you saying I can no longer forward declare an ostream?

Yes, but you don't want to forward declare an ostream anymore.

    class ostream;

isn't legal, because it doesn't match the real ostream.

> That would mean that for a declaration like so
>
> ostream& operator<< (ostream&, const myClass);
>
> I have to include the iostream header file in my header file. That seems
> odd. There's got to be a better way.

There is, called <iosfwd>.  All the I/O classes, forward declared.

Phil

                                                 - Edsger Dijkstra, 1930-2002

* Re: iostream question
@ 2002-10-17  6:51   ` Robert Schweikert