* [nbnprod@cs.com: Hmmm... why shoud I want this?] [gnu.org #14223]
@ 2002-12-29  9:38 Brett Smith
From: Brett Smith @ 2002-12-29  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Here's some feedback about the GCC site that I received at <gnu@gnu.org>
for you.  I just wanted to pass it on to you.

Thanks,

----- Forwarded message from Nick <nbnprod@cs.com> -----

Subject: Hmmm... why shoud I want this?
From: Nick <nbnprod@cs.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 00:00:39 -0500
	version=2.43

Hello,

I would like to suggest an alteration to your FAQ, and perhaps your main web page.

There is one ground rule that I always follow when I program.  I have to ask the question, "Exactly what is my program going to do for my user."  What problem does my user have, that I want to solve?

I may have overlooked it, but even if I did, it merely reinforces my point.  I believe that your answer to this question should be displayed prominently on your home page, and at the top of your FAQ.  It should be the easiest thing to find on your web site.  I want to trip over it.

I am currently learning Visual C++ 6.0.  Visual C++ 6.0 provides a complete visual development environment for the windows platform, based upon C++, .COM, MFC, etc.  What does GCC do?  Is it just a compiler?  An IDE?  Can I develop visually?  Can I develop for windows?  Can I develop once and easily port to other operating systems?  What are the primary requirements of GCC, and what does it currently do better than anything else?

In other words, why do I care?

I would recomend that you ask yourself, do you want new users?  If so, how many people are turned away by the lack of a clear presentation of purpose.  If I can't easily find out why you think I should use your tools, how hard will it be for me to find more obscure information?

Sincerely,

Nicholas A Burger

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Brett Smith
Free Software Foundation

Help support our work for the FSF and the GNU project:
     http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=fsfinfo

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-12-29 14:49 UTC | newest]