* Merged CVS repository of gcc and old-gcc
@ 2005-07-15  9:03 Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-07-15  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: dberlin

In preparation for the future transition to subversion, I've written
some code to merge the old-gcc repository into current mainline.  I
would like to see this merged repository used as the basis for the
conversion to subversion.  The advantage is that it provides revision
history back to 1992, when the gcc sources were first put into a
source code control system.  (At the time, it was RCS.  Before 1992
the source code control system was emacs numbered backup files.)

Since I just wrote this code, I'd like any feedback that people care
to give on the correctness and usability of the generated repository.
People with SSH access to sourceware should be able to access the
temporary merged repository by doing
    cvs -d :ext:gcc.gnu.org:/pool/ian/repo co gcc

This is a snapshot, and it will not be updated to keep up with
mainline changes, except to test bug fixes.  It only includes the gcc
subdirectory, since that is all that is present in old-gcc.  It does
not include some subdirectories which are not present in old-gcc, such
as ada, fortran, java, and testsuite.

Some implementation notes.  I first created a new repository in
/pool/ian/repo, and copied the gcc files there:
    cp -pr /cvs/gcc/gcc/gcc /pool/ian/repo/
Then I ran this command:
    (cd /cvs/gcc/old-gcc; find . -name '*,v' -print) | while read f; do echo $f; /home/ian/gccmerge/objdir/src/cvs -d /pool/ian/repo gccmerge /cvs/gcc/old-gcc gcc $f; done

That command took about 10 minutes to run.  It directly modifies the
file in the repository provided as the -d option.  Yes, for those
scoring at home, this is a modification of CVS itself.  I did it that
way to make easy use of the RCS library within CVS.  Sources are on
gcc-mergebranch of coolo-cvs in /cvs/sourceware.

By the way, in case anybody asks, I will not be doing this merge
before the subversion conversion, because it changes all the CVS
revision numbers and thus breaks all existing working directories.

Thanks.

Ian

* Re: Merged CVS repository of gcc and old-gcc
@ 2005-07-21 13:24   ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2005-07-21 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Volker Reichelt, ian, gcc

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Daniel Berlin wrote:

> > What will happen to the (revision number based) hyperlinks to patches
> > in Bugzilla and the gcc-cvs mailing list archive like the following:
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/reg-stack.c.diff?cvsroot=gcc&r1=1.188&r2=1.189
>
> > Will they still point to something useful?
>
> We will keep a read-only version of the cvs repository around along with
> cvsweb so that the links still work.

And so people can continue to run "cvs diff" on existing modified CVS
trees.  I.e. the changes which affect revision numbers will be made on a
separate copy of the repository which is only used to be fed into the
conversion; the copy available through cvsweb and existing CVS trees keeps
its present structure with separate old-gcc.

--
Joseph S. Myers               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~jsm28/gcc/
    jsm@polyomino.org.uk (personal mail)

* Re: Merged CVS repository of gcc and old-gcc
@ 2005-07-21 13:02 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2005-07-21 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: ian, gcc

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 14:51 +0200, Volker Reichelt wrote:
> Ian Lance Taylor wrote in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-07/msg00625.html:
>
> > In preparation for the future transition to subversion, I've written
> > some code to merge the old-gcc repository into current mainline.  I
> > would like to see this merged repository used as the basis for the
> > conversion to subversion.  The advantage is that it provides revision
> > history back to 1992, when the gcc sources were first put into a
> > source code control system.  (At the time, it was RCS.  Before 1992
> > the source code control system was emacs numbered backup files.)
> >
> > Since I just wrote this code, I'd like any feedback that people care
> > to give on the correctness and usability of the generated repository.
> > People with SSH access to sourceware should be able to access the
> > temporary merged repository by doing
> >     cvs -d :ext:gcc.gnu.org:/pool/ian/repo co gcc
>
> [snip]
>
> > By the way, in case anybody asks, I will not be doing this merge
> > before the subversion conversion, because it changes all the CVS
> > revision numbers and thus breaks all existing working directories.
>
> What will happen to the (revision number based) hyperlinks to patches
> in Bugzilla and the gcc-cvs mailing list archive like the following:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/reg-stack.c.diff?cvsroot=gcc&r1=1.188&r2=1.189

> Will they still point to something useful?

We will keep a read-only version of the cvs repository around along with
cvsweb so that the links still work.

At least, that is the current plan.

* Re: Merged CVS repository of gcc and old-gcc
@ 2005-07-21 12:52 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2005-07-21 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ian; +Cc: gcc, dberlin

Ian Lance Taylor wrote in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-07/msg00625.html:

> In preparation for the future transition to subversion, I've written
> some code to merge the old-gcc repository into current mainline.  I
> would like to see this merged repository used as the basis for the
> conversion to subversion.  The advantage is that it provides revision
> history back to 1992, when the gcc sources were first put into a
> source code control system.  (At the time, it was RCS.  Before 1992
> the source code control system was emacs numbered backup files.)
>
> Since I just wrote this code, I'd like any feedback that people care
> to give on the correctness and usability of the generated repository.
> People with SSH access to sourceware should be able to access the
> temporary merged repository by doing
>     cvs -d :ext:gcc.gnu.org:/pool/ian/repo co gcc

[snip]

> By the way, in case anybody asks, I will not be doing this merge
> before the subversion conversion, because it changes all the CVS
> revision numbers and thus breaks all existing working directories.

What will happen to the (revision number based) hyperlinks to patches
in Bugzilla and the gcc-cvs mailing list archive like the following:

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gcc/gcc/reg-stack.c.diff?cvsroot=gcc&r1=1.188&r2=1.189

Will they still point to something useful?
If not, that would render the whole gcc-cvs archive list useless. :-(

Well, this is a question for the cvs to svn conversion in general,
but gets more complicated with your merge of the cvs repositories.

Regards,
Volker