* bison -y overrides YACC in Make-lang.in
@ 2021-02-26 23:15 James K. Lowden
From: James K. Lowden @ 2021-02-26 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Using https://thinkingeek.com/gcc-tiny/ as a model, I've begun adding a
new language to gcc.  I'm having trouble controlling how Bison is
invoked.

In my Make-lang.in, I have

	YACC = bison
	YFLAGS = -Werror --debug --verbose

but when I build, I see bison invoked on my .y file as

	$ bison -y -Werror --debug --verbose

Where did that "-y" come from?  The documentation

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Front-End-Makefile.html#Front-End-Makefile

says:

	"It contains targets lang.hook ... and any
	 other Makefile rules required to build those targets...."

It doesn't say I can't use YACC = bison ....

This was under the radar until an upgraded bison began flagging
 %empty as non-posix.

The observed behavior looked to me to be in error.  How is the
language-specific directory supposed to control the value of YACC?

--jkl

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-02-26 23:15 UTC | newest]