From: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>
To: Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
Cc: Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>, gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: adding OMPD support
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:59:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 12:46:32AM +0200, Mohamed Atef wrote:
>        i want to make the variable ompd_dll_locations global to openMP
> runtime according to my understanding i should add it to OMP_5.1 {} in

Given that it is not going to make GCC 12 which introduced the OMP_5.1
symbol version, our policy is that symbols shouldn't be added to symbol
versions that were already released in earlier compiler versions.
But, ompd_dll_locations has been introduced already in OpenMP 5.0, not 5.1,
so it should go into:
OMP_5.0.3 {
  global:
        ompd_dll_locations;
} OMP_5.0.2;
rather than OMP_5.1.1.

> libgomp.map and its definition should be done in initialize_env() function
> in env.c is there anything else needed to be done.

Introduction of ompd_dll_locations is just one of the many steps to
implement OMPD, and I'd say it should go together with actually introducing
the libgompd library in libgomp/Makefile.am because the var just points to
the library.

Note, if you only make changes inside of libgomp/, you don't really need to
rebuild the whole compiler for it, it is enough to run make in the
<target>/libgomp/ subdir of the builddir, and similarly for testing
you could just run make check in that directory (at least during your
development process, before submitting patches to gcc-patches
full bootstrap/regtest should be done).

> another question i modified the source and rebuilt gcc would i be able to
> see my changes if i used the new gcc? If yes, why do we implement testsuite?

Sure, you can see it through readelf -Wa on .libs/libgomp.so.1 or ideally
tested in a testcase added into the libgomp testsuite.

> By the way, we should finish the implementation by next july, so we need
> your help.

That help can come when you actually post patches and in patch review we can
guide you what should be changed and how and what is ok.

	Jakub