From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden@schemamania.org>
To: David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using std::unique_ptr and std::make_unique in our code
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 21:15:44 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 20:32:07 -0400
David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Perhaps, but right now I prefer to spell out std::unique_ptr<T>, since
> I'm not as comfortable with C++11 as I might be.

Hi David, [off list]

You might be interested to know Bjarne Stroustrup observes that during
the development of C++, new features tend to be introduced with long,
explicit syntax that no one can misinterpret.  Then, over time, as the
community becomes comfortable with the new idea (and tired of typing
it) it gets briefer.

	"The prefix template<...> syntax was not my first choice when I
designed templates. It was forced upon me by people worried that
templates would be misused by less competent programmers, leading to
confusion and errors. The heavy syntax for exception handling, try
{ ... } catch( ... ) { ... }, was a similar story [Stroustrup 2007]. It
seems that for every new feature many people demand a LOUD syntax to
protect against real and imagined potential problems. After a while,
they then complain about verbosity."

https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3386320?utm_source=ZHShareTargetIDMore&utm_medium=social&utm_oi=54584470929408

At the very least, you have company.  :-)

Regards,

--jkl