From: Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
To: David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>
Cc: "gcc@gcc.gnu.org" <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Using std::unique_ptr and std::make_unique in our code
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2022 22:16:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, 8 Jul 2022 at 21:47, David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> std::unique_ptr is C++11, and I'd like to use it in the gcc/analyzer
> subdirectory, at least.  The following patch eliminates a bunch of
> "takes ownership" comments and manual "delete" invocations in favor
> of simply using std::unique_ptr.
>
> The problem is that the patch makes use of std::make_unique, but that
> was added in C++14.
>
> I've heard that it's reasonably easy to reimplement std::make_unique,
> but I'm not sure that my C++11 skills are up to it.

You know we have an implementation of std::make_unique in GCC, with a
GCC-compatible licence that you can look at, right? :-)

But it's not really necessary. There are only two reasons to prefer
make_unique over just allocating an object with new and constructing a
unique_ptr from it:

1) avoid a "naked" new in your code (some coding styles like this, but
it's not really important as long as the 'delete' is managed
automatically by unique_ptr).

2) exception-safety when allocating multiple objects as args to a
function, see https://herbsutter.com/gotw/_102/ for details.
Irrelevant for GCC, because we build without exceptions.

> Is there:
> (a) an easy way to implement a std::make_unique replacement
>     (e.g. in system.h? what to call it?), or

If you don't care about using it to create unique_ptr<T[]> arrays, it's trivial:

  template<typename T, typename... Args>
    inline typename std::enable_if<!std::is_array<T>::value,
std::unique_ptr<T>>::type
    make_unique(Args&&... args)
    { return std::unique_ptr<T>(new T(std::forward<Args>(args)...)); }

To add the overload that works for arrays is a little trickier.

> (b) some C++11-compatible way to do the same thing?
> without accidentally bringing in C++14 features.

std::make_unique doesn't use any C++14 features.