* Noob question about simple customization of GCC.
@ 2021-08-04  7:17 Alacaster Soi
From: Alacaster Soi @ 2021-08-04  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

How hard would it be to add a tree-like structure and headers/sections to
the -v gcc option so you can see the call structure. Would this be a
reasonable first contribution/customization for a noob? It'll be a while
before I can reasonably work on this.
GCC
version
config
|---- cc1 main.c
      | cc1 config and
      | output
-> tempfile.s
                                        '*extra space' *between each lowest
level command
|---- as -v
      | output
-> tempfile.o

|---- collect2.exe
      |----- ld.exe
             | output
-> tempfile.exe

* Re: Noob question about simple customization of GCC.
@ 2021-08-05 14:07 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2021-08-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alacaster Soi, gcc

On Wed, 2021-08-04 at 00:17 -0700, Alacaster Soi via Gcc wrote:
> How hard would it be to add a tree-like structure and
> headers/sections to
> the -v gcc option so you can see the call structure. Would this be a
> reasonable first contribution/customization for a noob? It'll be a
> while
> before I can reasonably work on this.
> GCC
> version
> config
> > ---- cc1 main.c
>       | cc1 config and
>       | output
> -> tempfile.s
>                                         '*extra space' *between each
> lowest
> level command
> > ---- as -v
>       | output
> -> tempfile.o
>
> > ---- collect2.exe
>       | output
>       |----- ld.exe
>              | output
> -> tempfile.exe

I really like this UI idea, but I don't know how easy/hard it would be
to implement.  The code that implements figuring out what to invoke
(the "driver") is in gcc/gcc.c, which is a big source file.

FWIW there's also code in gcc/tree-diagnostic-path.cc to emit ASCII art
that does something a bit similar to your idea, which might be worth
looking at (in this case, to visualize function calls and returns along
a code path).

Hope this is helpful
Dave