* egcs1.0 performace on cyrix
@ 1997-12-05 18:42 Nuno Ferreira
From: Nuno Ferreira @ 1997-12-05 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

First, some information about my computer. It's a Cyrix6x86 P166+ and is almost,
running Linux 2.1.65 and almost all glibc2.0.5c based (some programs still
remain using libc5) that was originally based on Debian1.3.
I downloaded and compiled egcs1.0 and it all went well, apart from the
pthreads bug. One question: should I use haifa scheduler or not?
I compiled the haifa scheduler in and to test performance I compiled bzip2 and t
ried testing a kernel-source.bz2. I timed this and old bzip2, compiled with gcc
and there was no improvement(not that it proves anything, it's just one test).
Another question. What should I use to get best cyrix performance? i386,i486 or
pentium? Any chance of getting -march=cyrix6x86 in the future?

-----
Nuno Ferreira
nmrf@rnl.ist.utl.pt

* Re: egcs1.0 performace on cyrix
@ 1997-12-06  9:23 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1997-12-06  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nuno Ferreira; +Cc: egcs

  In message < XFMail.971205213403.nmrf@rnl.ist.utl.pt >you write:
  > pthreads bug. One question: should I use haifa scheduler or not?
I doubt Haifa will make much difference at this time on x86 machines.

  > I compiled the haifa scheduler in and to test performance I compiled bzip2 and t
  > ried testing a kernel-source.bz2. I timed this and old bzip2, compiled with gcc
  > and there was no improvement(not that it proves anything, it's just one test).
Well, considering that bzip and other assorted compression programs
have very tight inner loops, I'm not real suprised.

Jeff

* Re: egcs1.0 performace on cyrix
@ 1997-12-06 17:54   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1997-12-06 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: nmrf, egcs

[ egcs is no faster on bzip2 ]

> Well, considering that bzip and other assorted compression programs
> have very tight inner loops, I'm not real suprised.

It might be interesting to look at the .s file and see if there is
any improvement to be had.