* Tiny asm
@ 2023-07-03 12:55 jacob navia
From: jacob navia @ 2023-07-03 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Friends:

1) I have (of course) kept your copyright notice at the start of the « asm.h » header file of my project.

2) I have published my source code using your GPL V3 license

I am not trying to steal you anything. And I would insist that I have great respect for the people working with gcc. In no way I am trying to minimize their accomplishments. What happens is that layers of code produced by many developers have accumulated across the years, like the dust in the glass shelf of my grand mother back home. Sometimes in spring she would clean it.

I am doing just that.

That said, now I have some questions:

1) What kind of options does gcc pass to its assembler? Is there in the huge source tree of gcc a place where those options are emitted?
  This would allow me to keep only those options into tiny-asm and erase all others (and the associated code)

2) I have to re-engineer the output of assembler instructions. Instead of writing to an assembler file (or to a memory assembler file) I will have to convince gcc to output into a buffer, and will pass the buffer address to the assembler.

So, instead of outputting several MBs worth of assembler instructions, we would pass only 8 bytes of a buffer address. If the buffer is small (4K, for instance), it would pass into the CPU cache. Since the CPU cache is 16KB some of it may be kept there.

3) To do that, I need to know where in the back end source code you are writing to disk.

Thanks for your help, and thanks to the people that posted encouraging words.

jacob

only message in thread, other threads:[~2023-07-03 12:55 UTC | newest]