* Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-22 12:56 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2003-05-22 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bangerth, giovannibajo, gcc, gdr, ehrhardt

Right now we have the following keywords in bugzilla:

accepts-invalid
ice-on-invalid-code
ice-on-valid-code
pessimizes-code
rejects-valid
wrong-code

I'd like to add the following keywords:

* diagnostic (for error messages/warnings that are misleading or broken
  and superfluous/missing warnings)
* error-recovery (we get an ICE/bailing-out-message after a sensible
  error message). This should be specified in addition to
  ice-on-invalid-code.

What do you think?

Regards,
Volker

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-22 15:13 ` Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2003-05-22 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt, bangerth, gcc, gdr, ehrhardt; +Cc: Daniel Berlin

Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> I'd like to add the following keywords:
>
> * diagnostic (for error messages/warnings that are misleading or broken
>   and superfluous/missing warnings)

Maybe this should be a new component (like, c, c++, etc). On the other hand,
it's clear that e.g. some diagnosis bugs are stricly C++ related. I'm not
sure what it's best option. Of course, everything is better than the
[diagnosis] stamp in the summary.

> * error-recovery (we get an ICE/bailing-out-message after a sensible
>   error message). This should be specified in addition to
>   ice-on-invalid-code.

Yes, agreed. Is it possible to have some dropbox with keywords instead of
being forced to type them in manually?

Giovanni Bajo

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-27 14:03   ` Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2003-05-27 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: gcc, Gabriel Dos Reis

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>> I think the biggest difference is between diagnostic bugs which are
request
>> for enhancements and not strictly necessary, and diagnostic bugs which
are
>> really bugs (or at least, can be considered as such). And this difference
>> is already taken into account by the Severity of the bug. In other words
>> suggest that your missing-diagnostic be simply a diagnostic keyword with
>> Severity = enhancement, and you misleading-diagnostic be a diagnostic
>> keyword with Severity != enhancement.

> This isn't *exactly* what I was thinking of.  A missing diagnostic might
> be a warning which is supposed to trigger and doesn't.  A misleading
> diagnostic would be one which triggers but shouldn't.
>
> It may be that the distinction is not valuable.  I defer to others.

Since we got no more comments on this issue, I'm creating a new keyword
"diagnostic" for now, and removing all the [diagnostic] stamps. We can still
split diagnostic into smaller parts later if we need. OTOH, Gaby never asked
for it.

Giovanni Bajo

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-23 15:45 ` Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-23 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Bajo; +Cc: gcc

@ 2003-05-23 15:34 ` Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-23 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: gcc

Volker Reichelt wrote:

>>I actually thought that there should be two keywords for this:
>>
>>missing-diagnostic (There should be a warning, but there isn't.)
>>misleading-diagnostic (There's a warning which shouldn't be there, or
>>should be replaced by a different warning.)
>

> I don't think that we really need two keywords, because the volume is low:
> We now have thirty-something PRs with the stamp "[diagnostic]" in the
> summary line. They all fit on a single screen. And even if the number
> doubled, the number would still be small compared to "ice-on-(in)valid-code"
> for example.
Missing diagnostics and misleading diagnostics are often very different
kinds of issues requiring different skills to fix, which is why I
thought the distinction might be useful.

I defer to the opinion of this list. :-)

> And we still have the summary line where we can give information like
> "misleading".
>
> Btw, thanks for adding the keyword "error-recovery"!
I saw consensus. :-)

@ 2003-05-23 10:36 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2003-05-23 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neroden, gcc

@ 2003-05-23 10:26 Giovanni Bajo
From: Giovanni Bajo @ 2003-05-23 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: Giovanni Bajo, gcc

@ 2003-05-22 18:21 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2003-05-22 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> missing-diagnostic (There should be a warning, but there isn't.)
> misleading-diagnostic (There's a warning which shouldn't be there, or
> should be replaced by a different warning.)

FWIW, in GNATS rejects-legal and accepts-illegal were sometimes overloaded
to refer to wrong warnings on correct code and warnings that would be
desirable even if the code wasn't actually invalid per the standard.
With new keywords we can be more specific and avoid this overloading.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-22 18:19 ` Michael S. Zick
From: Michael S. Zick @ 2003-05-22 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode, gcc

On Thursday 22 May 2003 12:13 pm, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> On 22 May, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> > Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> * diagnostic (for error messages/warnings that are misleading or
>
> broken
>
> >>   and superfluous/missing warnings)
>
> I actually thought that there should be two keywords for this:
>
> missing-diagnostic (There should be a warning, but there isn't.)
diagnostic-missing

> misleading-diagnostic (There's a warning which shouldn't be there, or
diagnostic-wrong

@ 2003-05-22 17:56 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

>* error-recovery (we get an ICE/bailing-out-message after a sensible
>  error message). This should be specified in addition to
>  ice-on-invalid-code.

I added this; I think we have consensus.

--Nathanael

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-22 17:24 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-22 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2003-05-22 16:21 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-22 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Reichelt; +Cc: giovannibajo, bangerth, gcc, gdr, ehrhardt

>> I'm not sure what it's best option. Of course, everything is better
>> than the
>> [diagnosis] stamp in the summary.
>
>>> * error-recovery (we get an ICE/bailing-out-message after a sensible
>>>   error message). This should be specified in addition to
>>>   ice-on-invalid-code.
>>
>> Yes, agreed. Is it possible to have some dropbox with keywords
>> instead of
>> being forced to type them in manually?
This is being worked on by someone else (If you look at
bugzilla.mozilla.org's bugzilla bugs, you'll see one for this
enhancement).
When they get it done, i'll add it to our bugzilla.

* Re: Suggestion for new keywords in bugzilla
@ 2003-05-22 16:07 Volker Reichelt
From: Volker Reichelt @ 2003-05-22 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovannibajo; +Cc: bangerth, gcc, gdr, ehrhardt, dberlin

On 22 May, Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> Volker Reichelt <reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to add the following keywords:
>>
>> * diagnostic (for error messages/warnings that are misleading or broken
>>   and superfluous/missing warnings)
>
> Maybe this should be a new component (like, c, c++, etc). On the other hand,
> it's clear that e.g. some diagnosis bugs are stricly C++ related.

That was my intention for making it a keyword.

> I'm not sure what it's best option. Of course, everything is better than the
> [diagnosis] stamp in the summary.

>> * error-recovery (we get an ICE/bailing-out-message after a sensible
>>   error message). This should be specified in addition to
>>   ice-on-invalid-code.
>
> Yes, agreed. Is it possible to have some dropbox with keywords instead of
> being forced to type them in manually?

Me, too!

Regards,
Volker