* Re: IA64
@ 2000-01-28 15:12 N8TM
From: N8TM @ 2000-01-28 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: owinebar; +Cc: gcc

>it sounds like a hard problem, and like the arch is
> a vast improvement over the IA32 arch

I'm sure they worked hard to make sure it sounded that way.  It's a big change, for sure. Some features look borrowed from processors such as MIPS R8000 and of course Alpha, since they had to buy out Alpha to settle patent infringments. The news media have been pretty quiet lately about the work which is surely going on under NDA's.  Not even the kind of speculation which you might think would feed off the situation; e.g. will gcc, linux, Monterey be ready for prime time before Windows, or will mass production be held until Windows is ready?  It looks clear now that they don't plan for IA64 to  displace IA32 soon, except in situations like the SGI parallel machines.

Tim
tprince@computer.org

* Re: ia64
@ 2002-01-10 14:08 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2002-01-10 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raghavendra.mbsagar; +Cc: gcc

On Jan 10, 2002, "Raghavendra M" <raghavendra.mbsagar@wipro.com> wrote:

> Can i use gcc to compile ia64 code on ia32 platform.If so what are the
> options to compile.

You can, but you have to build a cross-compiler first and, depending
on which OS you want to target, such a cross compiler may be more or
less challenging to build.  See the CrossGCC FAQ for (not too many)
details, and feel free to ask questions at the crossgcc mailing list.

* ia64
@ 2002-01-10  4:53 Raghavendra M
From: Raghavendra M @ 2002-01-10  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi
Can i use gcc to compile ia64 code on ia32 platform.If so what are the
options to compile.
Thanks and Regards
Raghavendra.M

[-- Attachment #2: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 855 bytes --]

Information transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to Wipro and/or its Customers and
is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without
proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this
information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please
notify us immediately at mailto:mailadmin@wipro.com and delete this mail
from your records.

* Re: IA64
@ 2000-01-28 16:24   ` Dan Maas
From: Dan Maas @ 2000-01-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

A lecture introducing Linux on IA64 and support technologies (incl. gcc) is
available at:

ftp://ftp.ottawalinuxsymposium.org/ols1999/ia64.mp3

Dan

| The people that know can't tell because of nondisclosure agreements,
| but you can be sure that there are people on this list actively working
| on gcc for the IA64 as part of the Trillian Project.  We outsiders
| can only speculate about how badly the code sucks, or how fast the
| code flies.
|
| See http://www.linuxia64.org/ for information on Trillian.

* Re: IA64
@ 2000-01-28 16:07 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2000-01-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lynn Winebarger; +Cc: gcc

>    I just saw a talk by Stephen Skedzielewski (manager of the IA64
> compiler performance analysis team at Intel) giving an overview of
> compilation techniques for the IA64 architecture.
>    Is gcc ready/able for dealing with these kinds of issues?

I'm sure it's going to need some work.

@ 2000-01-28 15:08 ` Marc Lehmann
From: Marc Lehmann @ 2000-01-28 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lynn Winebarger; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 06:17:12PM -0500, Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> wrote:
>    Is gcc ready/able for dealing with these kinds of issues?  (sounds like

Define "ready". GCC does not support the framework for the more advanced
(but necessary) optimizationtechniques like predication and speculative
loads. However, I have no doubts that this will change as soon as IA64 is
widely available ;)

As for "ready". GCC will definitely be ready to create (non-optimal) code
for the IA64. I don't know wether any special optimizations are currently
being developed for gcc, but I doubt it.

> the people at intel still aren't sure about how to look for the optimal
> combination of all the different code optimizations their hardware
> enables).

You mean "requires", not "enables" ;->

> Just curious (because it sounds like a hard problem, and like the arch is
> a vast improvement over the IA32 arch).

Well, although I _am_ a follower of the IA64 architecture, I am not sure
wether it will be that competitive, given the current schedule. There are
quite a few competing architectures.

Please note that all this is my personal opinion ;)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|

* IA64
@ 2000-01-28 14:36 Lynn Winebarger