* a gcc problem
@ 2001-12-09 19:23 kkkong
From: kkkong @ 2001-12-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

why a c program need gcc recompilation in different linux machines?
can we compile once and just copy the output file to run in other
machines? thanks for your help.

KK Kong
from Hong Kong

* Re: a gcc problem
@ 2001-12-11 16:57 ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2001-12-11 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kkkong, gcc

At 10.59 10/12/2001 (GMT +0800), kkkong wrote:
>why a c program need gcc recompilation in different linux machines?
>can we compile once and just copy the output file to run in other
>machines? thanks for your help.

It depends.
You can run in this sort of problems if you:
* have diffrent architectures (eg. linux on alpha and linux on i386).  I
don't think you can get around this one :-(
* have different libraries / versions in the different systems. Maybe you
can solve this linking statically rather than dinamically, or updating all
systems to a common library version.
* use optimizations specific to a particular processor (like -march=i686).
Just don't use this. (You CAN use -m686, I believe).
* other issues ?

HTH
fwyzard