From: "René Rebe" <rene@exactcode.de>
To: Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de>
Cc: GCC Administrator via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>,
	Frank Scheiner <frank.scheiner@web.de>
Subject: Re: Stepping up as maintainer for ia64
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:54:37 +0100	[thread overview]

> On Mar 7, 2024, at 20:08, Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 07.03.2024 um 19:09 schrieb René Rebe <rene@exactcode.de>:
>>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> I saw the deprecation of ia64*-*-* scrolling by [1].
>>
>> Which surprised me, as (minor bugs aside) gcc ia64*-*-linux just works for us and
>> we still actively support it as part of our T2 System Development Environment [2].
>>
>> For ia64 we are currently a team of three and also keep maintaining linux-kernel and
>> glibc git trees with ia64 restored and hope to bring back ia64 to linux upstream the
>> coming months as promised. [3]
>>
>> Despite popular believe ia64 actually just works for all those projects and we already
>> fixed the few minor bugs we could find or reproduce.
>>
>> Last week I also already patched and tested enabling LRA for ia64 in gcc [4] and could
>> -without any regression- compile a full ia64 T2/Linux release ISO that boots and runs
>> including an X desktop and Gtk applications. That was of course even with the latest
>> linux kernel and glibc versions with ia64 support restored respectively.
>>
>> Given there are currently no other volunteers, I therefore with this email step up and
>> offer to become ia64 maintainer for GCC to keep the code compiling, tested and
>> un-deprecated for the next years and releases to come.
>
> You’re welcome - we look forward to LRA enablement with ia64 and for it to get an
> active maintainer.  Note maintainers are appointed by the Steering Committee.

Great, I would suggest committing enabling LRA after the imminent stable release
for the next major GCC version. It would be nice to revert the deprecation if possible.
But in practice if of course does not really if we build the next stable release with
--enable-obsolete it just would look better.

> If I read you correctly you’d keep the ia64-Linux port alive but the other sub-architectures like the hpux port can remain deprecated?

Yes, as far as I am concerned we are only caring about Linux support. I guess
that could mean extra work for me carefully only deleting hpux code then?

I’ll send out the copyright assignment mail later today.
How can we get this Steeting Committee pointing going?

Thanks!
	René

--
ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com