* gprof not happy with mainline output.
@ 2004-09-02 21:38 Peter Steinmetz
From: Peter Steinmetz @ 2004-09-02 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I'm trying to use gprof with a mainline build from today.  I compile with
-pg, run the application to generate the gmon.out file and then run gprof,
but all I get is the following:

.
.
BFD: ../00000001/art: invalid string offset 51462 >= 3039 for section
`.strtab'
BFD: ../00000001/art: invalid string offset 268454758 >= 3039 for section
`.strtab'
BFD: ../00000001/art: invalid string offset 50438 >= 3039 for section
`.strtab'
BFD: ../00000001/art: invalid string offset 268455950 >= 3039 for section
`.strtab'
gprof: file `../00000001/art' has no symbols

Any idea what might cause this? .. Running with gcc 3.4 works fine.

Pete

* Re: gprof not happy with mainline output.
@ 2004-09-04  0:22 ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-04  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Steinmetz; +Cc: gcc

Peter Steinmetz wrote:
> BFD: ../00000001/art: invalid string offset 51462 >= 3039 for section
> `.strtab'

You probably need a newer binutils for the newer gcc.  You didn't
mention binutils version number or the target.

* Re: gprof not happy with mainline output.
@ 2004-09-08 19:40   ` Peter Steinmetz
From: Peter Steinmetz @ 2004-09-08 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James E Wilson; +Cc: gcc

I wondered about binutils as well.  I'm running with binutils-2.15.

gcc is compiled for Linux on PowerPC

             James E Wilson
             <wilson@specifixi
             nc.com>                                                    To
                                       Peter Steinmetz/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
             09/03/2004 07:22                                           cc
             PM                        gcc@gcc.gnu.org
                                                                   Subject

@ 2004-09-09  0:15     ` James E Wilson
From: James E Wilson @ 2004-09-09  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Steinmetz; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 12:40, Peter Steinmetz wrote:
> I wondered about binutils as well.  I'm running with binutils-2.15.

Perhaps binutils-2.15 is broken then.  You might try using one of HJ's
binutils releases instead, e.g. 2.15.90.whatever.he.calls.it.  Or try
using the binutils mainline, to see if maybe the problem has already
been fixed there.  Binutils mainline is usually safe to use, unlike gcc
mainline.

I doubt this is a gcc problem.  This is much more likely an internal
binutils problem with the string table (strtab) section merging
support.  There is linker support for eliminating duplicate strings from
the string tables.  I think were some bugs in this area that were fixed
a few months ago, but I don't know if the patches are in the
binutils-2.15 release.

You probably can see similar messages from anything else that tries to
read and parse an ELF object file, e.g. gdb, objdump, readelf, etc.

My PPC machine only has darwin installed on it, and binutils does not
support darwin, and my x86_64-linux machine is already busy with two
other builds, so I haven't tried to reproduce this.