* Building gcc compiler
@ 2004-12-06 19:23 Patara, Nishchal
From: Patara, Nishchal @ 2004-12-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hello,
I am a developer at Xerox. I am working on Novell team. Since Novell has
moved to SuSe Linux so I installed the same to one of my machine. It seems
that to install NNLS(Novell Nterprize Linux Services), we need gettext and
to have gettext we need gcc. I installed the latest source of gcc from your
site but it's pre-requisite is "cc", which was not at all installed with the
OS. I searched the whole internet and the CD's I got but could not find c
compiler "cc" for linux.

Can anybody help to find out how I can build gcc. I downloaded gcc-3.4.3
which I think is the latest of GNU compiler.

Thanks/Regards

Nishchal Patara
Xerox Global Services
Software Development
Bldg. 111-02J
(585) 422-5601
Nishchal Patara <mailto:Npatara@sdi.usa.xerox.com>

* Re: Building gcc compiler
@ 2004-12-06 19:29 ` Chris Jefferson
From: Chris Jefferson @ 2004-12-06 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patara, Nishchal; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Patara, Nishchal wrote:

>Hello,
>I am a developer at Xerox. I am working on Novell team. Since Novell has
>moved to SuSe Linux so I installed the same to one of my machine. It seems
>that to install NNLS(Novell Nterprize Linux Services), we need gettext and
>to have gettext we need gcc. I installed the latest source of gcc from your
>site but it's pre-requisite is "cc", which was not at all installed with the
>OS. I searched the whole internet and the CD's I got but could not find c
>compiler "cc" for linux.

cc is the general name by which a c compiler is called. The simplest way
to build gcc is simply to install gcc. However this creates a cirular
problem in your case! Suse (along with I hope every linux distribution)
comes with a gcc package. Look in your distributions instructions on how
to install packages which come with it, and install gcc from there.

Chris

* Re: Building gcc compiler
@ 2004-12-06 19:31 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-12-06 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patara, Nishchal; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Patara, Nishchal wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a developer at Xerox. I am working on Novell team. Since Novell has
> moved to SuSe Linux so I installed the same to one of my machine. It seems
> that to install NNLS(Novell Nterprize Linux Services), we need gettext and
> to have gettext we need gcc. I installed the latest source of gcc from your
> site but it's pre-requisite is "cc", which was not at all installed with the
> OS. I searched the whole internet and the CD's I got but could not find c
> compiler "cc" for linux.

it needs an existing C compiler, what do
	which cc
and
	which gcc
tell you?

However, I don't see how this will help you, gettext should be available
on your distribution anyway.

Oh, and this is the wrong place to ask, gcc-help is the right place.

nathan

* RE: Building gcc compiler
@ 2004-12-06 19:45 Patara, Nishchal
From: Patara, Nishchal @ 2004-12-06 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nathan Sidwell', Patara, Nishchal; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Thanks for your quick reply. I will ask the gcc-help people.

@ 2004-12-06 19:44 Patara, Nishchal
From: Patara, Nishchal @ 2004-12-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Chris Jefferson', Patara, Nishchal; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Thanks for your very quick reply. I will ask the SuSe guys, I think the OS
should come at least with the basic c compiler.

In this case it has become a circular problem. The installation notes say
that the prerequisite to have NNLS is gettext and gcc, gcc's prerequisite is
the ANSI C compiler for Linux but both are missing from the OS.

Any way Thanks a lot.