* native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-02 21:16 jf
From: jf @ 2004-12-02 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
I've build a cross gcc (x86/linux -> ppc/vxworks).
I was wondering how I could build a native gcc that run under vxWorks
using my cross compiler ?

Does anybody know what configure command I should use ?

Regards,

Jean-François

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-02 22:14 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2004-12-02 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jf; +Cc: gcc

jf <jean-francois.morcillo@laposte.net> writes:

> Hi,
> I've build a cross gcc (x86/linux -> ppc/vxworks).
> I was wondering how I could build a native gcc that run under vxWorks
> using my cross compiler ?

This is not possible.  The VxWorks operating system does not provide
an environment in which the compiler can run.  You have to use cross
compilers.

zw

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-06 15:07   ` Jean-François Morcillo
From: Jean-François Morcillo @ 2004-12-06 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zack Weinberg; +Cc: list gcc

Le jeudi 02 décembre 2004 à 14:13 -0800, Zack Weinberg a écrit :
> jf <jean-francois.morcillo@laposte.net> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've build a cross gcc (x86/linux -> ppc/vxworks).
> > I was wondering how I could build a native gcc that run under vxWorks
> > using my cross compiler ?
>
> This is not possible.  The VxWorks operating system does not provide
> an environment in which the compiler can run.  You have to use cross
> compilers.
>
> zw

Could you tell me more about the missing features or point me to a place
where I could find such information ?
Do you think it could be possible to implement them ?

regards,

JF

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-06 15:11     ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-12-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j_f; +Cc: Zack Weinberg, list gcc

Jean-François Morcillo wrote:
> Le jeudi 02 décembre 2004 à 14:13 -0800, Zack Weinberg a écrit :
>
>>jf <jean-francois.morcillo@laposte.net> writes:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I've build a cross gcc (x86/linux -> ppc/vxworks).
>>>I was wondering how I could build a native gcc that run under vxWorks
>>>using my cross compiler ?
>>
>>This is not possible.  The VxWorks operating system does not provide
>>an environment in which the compiler can run.  You have to use cross
>>compilers.
>>
>>zw
>

> Could you tell me more about the missing features or point me to a place
> where I could find such information ?
> Do you think it could be possible to implement them ?

you need a unix-like operating system.  Your best bet to discover exactly
what is to try and build a vx-works hosted compiler.  It'll fall over
during building due to missing OS functions.  Then it's a small matter
of implementing and repeating.

I can't help wondering _why_ you want to do this.

nathan

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-06 15:34       ` Jean-François Morcillo
From: Jean-François Morcillo @ 2004-12-06 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: Zack Weinberg, list gcc

Le lundi 06 décembre 2004 à 15:11 +0000, Nathan Sidwell a écrit :
> you need a unix-like operating system.  Your best bet to discover exactly
> what is to try and build a vx-works hosted compiler.  It'll fall over
> during building due to missing OS functions.  Then it's a small matter
> of implementing and repeating.

Ok I understand what you are suggestiong.

> I can't help wondering _why_ you want to do this.

I'm not sure I well understood your question (my English is so poor).
But, if you mean: "why I want to do this"
the answer is: "I've just set up a cross gcc for a customer who asked if
it could be possible to have gcc running as a native compiler on
vxWorks."

But, I'm not sure if he much worry about this.

JF

PS: I don't remember if I've already said this, but anyway: "Great work
guys" !

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-07  6:52       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2004-12-07  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: j_f, Zack Weinberg, list gcc

Nathan Sidwell wrote:

> you need a unix-like operating system.  Your best bet to discover exactly
> what is to try and build a vx-works hosted compiler.  It'll fall over
> during building due to missing OS functions.  Then it's a small matter
> of implementing and repeating.,

I trust the small here is meant with a sense of irony, since this would
in practice be many person years of work I would guess. After all cygwin
took a lot of development time, and you are far further ahead starting
with windows than vxworks.

> I can't help wondering _why_ you want to do this.
>
> nathan

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-07 21:37         ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2004-12-07 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: Nathan Sidwell, j_f, Zack Weinberg, list gcc

On Dec 6, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:
> I trust the small here is meant with a sense of irony, since this would
> in practice be many person years of work I would guess.

No, it isn't that hard, probably take a few weeks.

cygwin is a lot of work, not because of gcc, but because of the 1000s
of other software packages it compiles.

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-08  1:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2004-12-08  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Nathan Sidwell, j_f, Zack Weinberg, list gcc

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:
>
>> I trust the small here is meant with a sense of irony, since this would
>> in practice be many person years of work I would guess.
>

> No, it isn't that hard, probably take a few weeks.
>
> cygwin is a lot of work, not because of gcc, but because of the 1000s of
> other software packages it compiles.

Well you are far more optimistic than I would be. After all even getting
VxWorks to be posix compatible is a major amount of work. Gteting a full
unix environment seems much harder to me.

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-08  1:09             ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2004-12-08  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: Nathan Sidwell, j_f, Zack Weinberg, list gcc

On Dec 7, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Mike Stump wrote:
>
>> On Dec 6, 2004, at 10:52 PM, Robert Dewar wrote:
>>
>>> I trust the small here is meant with a sense of irony, since this
>>> would
>>> in practice be many person years of work I would guess.
>>>
>> No, it isn't that hard, probably take a few weeks.
>> cygwin is a lot of work, not because of gcc, but because of the 1000s
>> of other software packages it compiles.
>>

> Well you are far more optimistic than I would be. After all even
> getting
> VxWorks to be posix compatible is a major amount of work. Gteting a
> full
> unix environment seems much harder to me.

A hosted gcc doesn't require a full unix environment.  The difference
is the difference between making gcc and binutils work, versus making
those work, plus /bin/sh and perl and awk and insert 400 other nice
host programs here.

I've seen gcc hosted on an MSDOS box treated as a target board.

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-08  1:27               ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2004-12-08  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mrs; +Cc: gcc

> A hosted gcc doesn't require a full unix environment.  The difference
> is the difference between making gcc and binutils work, versus making
> those work, plus /bin/sh and perl and awk and insert 400 other nice
> host programs here.
>
> I've seen gcc hosted on an MSDOS box treated as a target board.

Heck, DJGPP isn't a full unix environment unless you try real hard,
cross your eyes, and overlook a few glaring differences ;-)

Yet we've had a hosted GCC since 1989.

* Re: native gcc for vxworks
@ 2004-12-08 19:58                 ` jf
From: jf @ 2004-12-08 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

DJ Delorie a écrit :

>>A hosted gcc doesn't require a full unix environment.  The difference
>>is the difference between making gcc and binutils work, versus making
>>those work, plus /bin/sh and perl and awk and insert 400 other nice
>>host programs here.
>>
>>I've seen gcc hosted on an MSDOS box treated as a target board.
>>

>Heck, DJGPP isn't a full unix environment unless you try real hard,
>cross your eyes, and overlook a few glaring differences ;-)
>
>Yet we've had a hosted GCC since 1989.

I thank all of you for your comments !
maybe, If my customer is interested, I'll try to have gcc hosted by
vxworks and I'll tell you how long it took.

Regards,

JF