* Second GCC 14.1 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org
@ 2024-05-03 20:57 Jakub Jelinek
From: Jakub Jelinek @ 2024-05-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The second release candidate for GCC 14.1 is available from

 https://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/14.1.0-RC-20240503/
 ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/14.1.0-RC-20240503/

and shortly its mirrors.  It has been generated from git commit
r14-10165-g3b4d6b6ecd79df790.

The https://gcc.gnu.org/PR114935 bug has been reported and determined
a release blocker, so we'd like to get extra testing on it prior to
the release.

I have so far bootstrapped and tested the release candidate on
x86_64-linux.  Please test it and report any issues to bugzilla.

If all goes well, we'd still like to release 14.1 on Tuesday, May 7th.

* Re: Second GCC 14.1 Release Candidate available from gcc.gnu.org
@ 2024-05-06  8:28 ` Frank Scheiner
From: Frank Scheiner @ 2024-05-06  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Bootstrapping the following configuration (with LRA enabled) looks good
for ia64, too:

```
CFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC" \
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -fPIC" \
../configure --prefix=/usr \
--enable-obsolete \
--libdir=/usr/lib \
--mandir=/usr/man \
--infodir=/usr/info \
--enable-shared \
--enable-bootstrap \
--enable-languages=c,c++,fortran \
--enable-threads=posix \
--enable-checking=release \
--with-system-zlib \
--enable-libstdcxx-dual-abi \
--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new \
--disable-libstdcxx-pch \
--disable-libunwind-exceptions \
--enable-__cxa_atexit \
--disable-libssp \
--enable-gnu-unique-object \
--enable-plugin \
--disable-lto \
--disable-install-libiberty \
--disable-werror \
--with-gnu-ld \
--with-isl \
--verbose \
--with-arch-directory=ia64 \
--disable-gtktest \
--enable-clocale=gnu \
--disable-multilib \
--target=ia64-t2-linux-gnu \
--build=ia64-t2-linux-gnu \
--host=ia64-t2-linux-gnu
```

The addition of fortran to the enabled languages adds about 20 mins to
the bootstrap timings mentioned on [1] for the same machine (and just c
and c++):

```
time make -j9 bootstrap-lean
[...]
real    295m51.942s
user    2072m18.957s
sys    29m0.798s
```

[1]: https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2024-May/243870.html

Running the testsuites for gcc and g++ (this time with `-j4` for each,
dropping the time needed for each down to about 114 mins from 4.5 to 5
hours when each testsuite only uses one hardware thread) shows some
differences in test results compared to the results with RC1:

```
                 === gcc Summary ===

gcc-14                          RC2     RC1

# of expected passes            133497  134528
# of unexpected failures        916     909
# of unexpected successes       18      18
# of expected failures          1354    1365
# of unresolved testcases       20      20
# of unsupported tests          3033    3033

                 === g++ Summary ===

gcc-14                          RC2     RC1

# of expected passes            246657  247363
# of unexpected failures        213     200
# of expected failures          2593    2595
# of unresolved testcases       5       5
# of unsupported tests          11497   11496
```

For RC2 the results are aggregated from the four separate results for
each testsuite. As the failures do not increase by the same amount as
the number of expect passes decreased, I assume this is "only" an effect
of using multiple make jobs.

This is "similar" for libgomp (duration around 60 mins, with `j4`,
around 51 mins w/o `-j`), though the number of expected passes more than
doubles for the parallel case compared to the serial case, so maybe
aggregating the results for this testsuite is not correct.

I don't have enough comparison data yet for the other testsuites I ran:

* gfortran (duration around 100 mins, with `j4`)
* libatomic (duration 12 seconds, w/o `-j` ;-) )
* libstdc++ (duration around 5 hours, with `-j4`)

...to be able to tell, if the results are any worse or better. But I at
least figured out that adding `-j4` for the libstdc++ testsuite makes it
complete in just a little longer than 5 hours instead of no completion
in more than 10 hours on the same hardware mentioned in [1].

This also means that the "whole" testsuite for the configuration above
might be able to complete in around 6 hours if gcc, g++ and gfortran are
done in parallel to libstdc++ and libgomp (after libstdc++ has finished)
- IINM.

Cheers,
Frank

@ 2024-05-06  9:57 ` Iain Sandoe
From: Iain Sandoe @ 2024-05-06  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jakub Jelinek; +Cc: GCC Development

> On 3 May 2024, at 21:57, Jakub Jelinek via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> The second release candidate for GCC 14.1 is available from
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/14.1.0-RC-20240503/
> ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/14.1.0-RC-20240503/
>
> and shortly its mirrors.  It has been generated from git commit
> r14-10165-g3b4d6b6ecd79df790.
>
> The https://gcc.gnu.org/PR114935 bug has been reported and determined
> a release blocker, so we'd like to get extra testing on it prior to
> the release.
>
> I have so far bootstrapped and tested the release candidate on
> x86_64-linux.  Please test it and report any issues to bugzilla.
>
> If all goes well, we'd still like to release 14.1 on Tuesday, May 7th.

Looks the same as rc1 on Darwin, thanks,
Iain