* updating autotools status
@ 2009-07-14 19:18 Benjamin Kosnik
From: Benjamin Kosnik @ 2009-07-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ralf.wildenhues, gcc

Hey Ralf! Saw your message about updating gcc/src to current auto
tools, in favor. But, it looks like the autoconf 2.64 release is not
out, last I see is 2.63b at the end of March. This and
confirmation of --with-build-sysroot working seem to be the only open
issues standing in the way of the conversion of the GCC source
repository.

What's the eta for the 2.64 autoconf release? How is this to be timed
with the end of GCC Stage 1? If autoconf 2.64 is not out by the end of
July, does it make sense to use autoconf 2.63 instead?

-benjamin

* Re: updating autotools status
@ 2009-07-15  6:25 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2009-07-15  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: ralf.wildenhues, gcc

On 07/14/2009 09:17 PM, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
> Hey Ralf! Saw your message about updating gcc/src to current auto
> tools, in favor. But, it looks like the autoconf 2.64 release is not
> out, last I see is 2.63b at the end of March. This and
> confirmation of --with-build-sysroot working seem to be the only open
> issues standing in the way of the conversion of the GCC source
> repository.
>
> What's the eta for the 2.64 autoconf release? How is this to be timed
> with the end of GCC Stage 1? If autoconf 2.64 is not out by the end of
> July, does it make sense to use autoconf 2.63 instead?

Once we switch to 2.60 or later, we can always require the latest and
greatest just like we did between 2.54 and 2.59.

Paolo

* Re: updating autotools status
@ 2009-07-21  6:41 ` Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2009-07-21  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Kosnik; +Cc: gcc, Eric Blake

Hello Benjamin,

sorry for the delay, I've been traveling.

* Benjamin Kosnik wrote on Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 09:17:46PM CEST:

> Hey Ralf! Saw your message about updating gcc/src to current auto
> tools, in favor. But, it looks like the autoconf 2.64 release is not
> out, last I see is 2.63b at the end of March. This and
> confirmation of --with-build-sysroot working seem to be the only open
> issues standing in the way of the conversion of the GCC source
> repository.

Yes, that is still the case.

> What's the eta for the 2.64 autoconf release? How is this to be timed
> with the end of GCC Stage 1? If autoconf 2.64 is not out by the end of
> July, does it make sense to use autoconf 2.63 instead?

Yes, definitely.  Let's ask Eric if there is any chance for 2.64 RSN.
Otherwise, I'll start going through the workarounds needed in GCC for
2.63.

Cheers,
Ralf