* No c++0x threads using win32 threading model (with MinGW-w64)
@ 2009-09-08 18:38 Heiko Harders
From: Heiko Harders @ 2009-09-08 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

(first of all: sorry to post this message to a second list, I've sent it
to the wrong list at first)

I am using g++ in MinGW-w64 running in a Windows environment. I'm
especially interested in the c++0x threads because it allows standard
cross-platform multi-threading.

Unfortunately I didn't get this to work (using a very recent Mingw-w64
snapshot that uses gcc 4.5.0). I did some research and I think I found
out why. Perhaps somebody on this list could confirm this and/or answer
some of the questions I have about the win32 threading model.

First of all, the c++0x threads don't seem to work because in the
`thread' header file the file `gthr.h' is included, which includes in
turn some threading model specific files (like `gthr_posix.h'). While
the header `gthr_win32.h' does exist, it is not included from `gthr.h'.
The comments in `gthr.h' further mention support for several threading
models, but the win32 threading model is not amongst these. Am I looking
in the right direction for reasons why the c++0x threads do not work
with the win32 threading model?

If the above is correct: is support for win32 c++0x threads being worked
on at the moment? If that is the case, any indication when it will be in
a usable state? What must be undertaken to implement this support?

I hope somebody can give me some insight in these questions.

Regards,
Heiko

* Re: No c++0x threads using win32 threading model (with MinGW-w64)
@ 2009-10-26 16:08 ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2009-10-26 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: harders, Kai Tietz, gcc-help; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Heiko Harders <heiko.harders@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (first of all: sorry to post this message to a second list, I've sent it to
> the wrong list at first)
>
> I am using g++ in MinGW-w64 running in a Windows environment. I'm especially
> interested in the c++0x threads because it allows standard cross-platform
> multi-threading.
>
> Unfortunately I didn't get this to work (using a very recent Mingw-w64
> snapshot that uses gcc 4.5.0). I did some research and I think I found out
> why. Perhaps somebody on this list could confirm this and/or answer some of
> the questions I have about the win32 threading model.
>
> First of all, the c++0x threads don't seem to work because in the `thread'
> header file the file `gthr.h' is included, which includes in turn some
> threading model specific files (like `gthr_posix.h'). While the header
> `gthr_win32.h' does exist, it is not included from `gthr.h'. The comments in
> `gthr.h' further mention support for several threading models, but the win32
> threading model is not amongst these. Am I looking in the right direction
> for reasons why the c++0x threads do not work with the win32 threading
> model?
>
> If the above is correct: is support for win32 c++0x threads being worked on
> at the moment? If that is the case, any indication when it will be in a
> usable state? What must be undertaken to implement this support?
>
> I hope somebody can give me some insight in these questions.
>
> Regards,
> Heiko

Adding Kai and gcc-help to this email.