* hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-08  9:53 Martin Jambor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Jambor @ 2009-09-08  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

the testsuite on the hppa machine (gcc61 on the compile farm) has
always hanged for me from time to time.  However, lately (at least
since I returned from vacation last Monday) it hangs every time.

I have the compiler configured for c and c++ only, without bootstrap.
I run the testsuite without the -j flag, so there should be just a
single thread.  Since I started looking at where this happens it has
always hanged when running the libstdc++ testsuite, albeit at a
different place in that suite (as far as the log file tells, the last
few lines from the libstc++.log of one such run file are below but
don't reveal much).  This is revision 151323.

Is this a know problem?  How should I investigate such problems?  It
makes proper testing on that platform rather impossible for me.

Thanks,

Martin

Executing on host: /home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/./gcc/g++ -shared-libgcc -B/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/./gcc -nostdinc++ -L/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B/home/jamborm/gcc/inst/trunk/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/home/jamborm/gcc/inst/trunk/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /home/jamborm/gcc/inst/trunk/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem /home/jamborm/gcc/inst/trunk/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include -g -O2 -D_GLIBCXX_ASSERT -fmessage-length=0 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -g -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLOCALEDIR="." -nostdinc++ -I/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/include/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu -I/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/include -I/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++ -I/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/libstdc++-v3/include/backward -I/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/util /home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/libstdc++-v3/testsuite/21_strings/basic_string/numeric_conversions/wchar_t/stoul.cc   -std=gnu++0x ./libtestc++.a -Wl,--gc-sections  -lm   -o ./stoul.exe    (timeout = 600)
PASS: 21_strings/basic_string/numeric_conversions/wchar_t/stoul.cc (test for excess errors)
Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to :/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/gcc:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/./libstdc++-v3/../libgomp/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/./libstdc++-v3/src/.libs::/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/gcc:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/./libstdc++-v3/../libgomp/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/./libstdc++-v3/src/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libmudflap/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libssp/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/hppa2.0-unknown-linux-gnu/libgomp/.libs:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/./gcc:/home/jamborm/gcc/trunk/obj/./prev-gcc
PASS: 21_strings/basic_string/numeric_conversions/wchar_t/stoul.cc execution test
got a INT signal, interrupted by user

                === libstdc++ Summary ===

# of expected passes            782
# of unexpected failures        1
# of expected failures          26
# of unsupported tests          10
runtest completed at Mon Sep  7 16:04:28 2009

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-08 16:31 ` Steve Ellcey
From: Steve Ellcey @ 2009-09-08 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

Is gcc61 running HP-UX or Linux?  I haven't seen any hangs in
my hppa HP-UX testing.  I don't do any hppa Linux testing.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-08 16:35   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2009-09-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Ellcey; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 09:31:14AM -0700, Steve Ellcey wrote:
> Is gcc61 running HP-UX or Linux?  I haven't seen any hangs in
> my hppa HP-UX testing.  I don't do any hppa Linux testing.

I guess I should have specified that.  It indeed does run Linux.

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-09  1:08 ` John David Anglin
From: John David Anglin @ 2009-09-09  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

> the testsuite on the hppa machine (gcc61 on the compile farm) has
> always hanged for me from time to time.  However, lately (at least
> since I returned from vacation last Monday) it hangs every time.

This is likely a kernel problem.  There are long standing problems
with testsuite timeouts and occassional hangs on linux.  The frequency
of these is kernel and hardware dependent.

> Is this a know problem?  How should I investigate such problems?  It
> makes proper testing on that platform rather impossible for me.

It's very difficult as there's little relationship between cause
and symptoms.  If you come across a reproducible testcase, please
report it to the parisc-linux list.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-09 10:58 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-09-09 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Jambor wrote:

>  Since I started looking at where this happens it has
> always hanged when running the libstdc++ testsuite, albeit at a
> different place in that suite (as far as the log file tells, the last
> few lines from the libstc++.log of one such run file are below but
> don't reveal much).  This is revision 151323.

> How should I investigate such problems?

  If you add RUNTESTFLAGS="-v -v -v -v -v -v -v" (maybe more or less -v
according to taste) to your "make check" invocation, maybe the log file will
be a lot more informative about exactly what's got stuck where.

  Another idea would be to take a look at the list of running processes when
it gets stuck and see if it's hanging during running one of the test
executables, or if it's stuck somewhere in the dejagnu/expect test
infrastructure.  Normally if a test exe gets stuck it should be timed out
after five minutes or so, but that mechanism has occasionally been known to fail.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-10 23:09   ` Matthias Klose
From: Matthias Klose @ 2009-09-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John David Anglin; +Cc: Martin Jambor, gcc

On 09.09.2009 03:07, John David Anglin wrote:

> the testsuite on the hppa machine (gcc61 on the compile farm) has
>> always hanged for me from time to time.  However, lately (at least
>> since I returned from vacation last Monday) it hangs every time.
>
> This is likely a kernel problem.  There are long standing problems
> with testsuite timeouts and occassional hangs on linux.  The frequency
> of these is kernel and hardware dependent.
>
>> Is this a know problem?  How should I investigate such problems?  It
>> makes proper testing on that platform rather impossible for me.
>
> It's very difficult as there's little relationship between cause
> and symptoms.  If you come across a reproducible testcase, please
> report it to the parisc-linux list.

if this is a debian parisc-linux system you might want to install expect-tcl8.3
(which removes the expect package) to avoid the timeouts. at least that works
around the timeouts on the debian buildds.

   Matthias

* Re: hppa testsuite stalls?
@ 2009-09-10 23:51     ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-09-10 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Klose; +Cc: John David Anglin, Martin Jambor, gcc

Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 09.09.2009 03:07, John David Anglin wrote:
>>

>> the testsuite on the hppa machine (gcc61 on the compile farm) has
>>> always hanged for me from time to time.  However, lately (at least
>>> since I returned from vacation last Monday) it hangs every time.
>>
>> This is likely a kernel problem.  There are long standing problems
>> with testsuite timeouts and occassional hangs on linux.  The frequency
>> of these is kernel and hardware dependent.
>>
>>> Is this a know problem?  How should I investigate such problems?  It
>>> makes proper testing on that platform rather impossible for me.
>>
>> It's very difficult as there's little relationship between cause
>> and symptoms.  If you come across a reproducible testcase, please
>> report it to the parisc-linux list.
>
> if this is a debian parisc-linux system you might want to install
> expect-tcl8.3 (which removes the expect package) to avoid the timeouts.
> at least that works around the timeouts on the debian buildds.

  BTW, there was a patch just checked in to make sure ACATS tests time out
properly instead of stalling:

  Maybe it can help?

    cheers,
      DaveK