* Truncated history in viewvc
@ 2009-09-16  7:05 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-09-16  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    Good morning all!

  Is there some reason that I don't know about (e.g. limiting the load on the
server) why the revision log views of files in our viewvc setup would be
heavily truncated?

  For example:

http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/trunk/gcc/varasm.c?view=log

ends at r.138078, ~14 months ago.  I'm fairly sure varasm.c has been around
longer than that!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Truncated history in viewvc
@ 2009-09-16  9:51 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2009-09-16  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Dave Korn
<dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

>    Good morning all!
>
>  Is there some reason that I don't know about (e.g. limiting the load on the
> server) why the revision log views of files in our viewvc setup would be
> heavily truncated?

The issue comes down to the trunk had be accidently deleted and viewvc
does not handle that.

-- Pinski

* Re: Truncated history in viewvc
@ 2009-09-16  9:57   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-09-16  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: Dave Korn, gcc

Andrew Pinski wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Dave Korn
> <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>    Good morning all!
>>
>>  Is there some reason that I don't know about (e.g. limiting the load on the
>> server) why the revision log views of files in our viewvc setup would be
>> heavily truncated?
>
> The issue comes down to the trunk had be accidently deleted and viewvc
> does not handle that.
>
> -- Pinski

  Ohhh, yes, I remember that happening.  Oh well, don't think there's much we
can do about that, except perhaps hope a future version can deal with it.
Might be worth our while filing an enhancement request at the viewvc project,
but that's it really.  Thanks for the explanation.

@ 2009-09-16 17:55     ` Jie Zhang
From: Jie Zhang @ 2009-09-16 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

Dave Korn wrote:
> Andrew Pinski wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:19 AM, Dave Korn
>> <dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>    Good morning all!
>>>
>>>  Is there some reason that I don't know about (e.g. limiting the load on the
>>> server) why the revision log views of files in our viewvc setup would be
>>> heavily truncated?
>> The issue comes down to the trunk had be accidently deleted and viewvc
>> does not handle that.
>>
>> -- Pinski
>
>   Ohhh, yes, I remember that happening.  Oh well, don't think there's much we
> can do about that, except perhaps hope a future version can deal with it.
> Might be worth our while filing an enhancement request at the viewvc project,
> but that's it really.  Thanks for the explanation.

I have a gcc svn repository mirror on my hard disk. The svn history of
varasm.c in viewvc looks good. The oldest entry is

Revision 281 - (view) (download) (as text) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Added Thu Feb 6 00:04:16 1992 UTC (17 years, 7 months ago) by rms
File length: 77149 byte(s)

Initial revision

I'm using ViewVC 1.0.5-0.2 from Debian AMD64 unstable. I noticed that
the ViewVC version is 1.1.2 on gcc.gnu.org. Maybe it's a regression of
ViewVC.

Jie