* fanalyzer: debugging zero state machine
@ 2022-06-09 14:49 Tim Lange
From: Tim Lange @ 2022-06-09 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

<dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:
 > > On Wed, 2022-06-08 at 01:42 +0200, Tim Lange wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi Dave,
 > >
 > > I did spent some time to think about the zero state machine. I
first
 > > thought about distinguishing between "assigned zero" and "EQ 0
 > > condition on the path" for cases where e.g. unreachable() is used
 > > say that some variable will never be zero according to the
programmer.
 > > In that case the dev might not want zero warnings from conditions
 > > outside the if body itself for dev build where unreachable expands
 > > some panic exit. But as the condition constraint is not pruned
when the
 > > state machine is distinguishing the states, I'm not sure how to
know
 > > whether the analysis already left the if body?
 >
 > The analyzer works on the gimple-ssa representation, which uses basic
 > blocks in a CFG, rather than an AST, so the only remants we have of
 > scope is in "clobber" statements (a special kind of assignment stmt),
 > which the gimplify adds as variables go out of scope.
If the constraints only lived until the immediate dominator of `if
(cond)`, I could easily distinguish:
1. if (x == 0) && still inside the if => zero
2. if (x == 0) && outside if => maybe zero
but as this seems to be not the case, if I want to distinguish 1. & 2.,
I'd have to find another way.

 > For pruning, the analyzer's state_machine class has a "can_purge_p"
 > virtual function:
 >
 > /* Return true if it safe to discard the given state (to help
 > when simplifying state objects).
 > States that need leak detection should return false. */
 > virtual bool can_purge_p (state_t s) const = 0;
 >
 > which should return true for a "zeroness" state machine, in that we
 > always consider pruning states for svalues that aren't needed anymore
 > along a path.
Is implemented and returns true.

 > Is there some other kind of state explosion you're running into? It's
 > hard to figure this out further without seeing code.
No, my code is by far not that mature to be tested. I just had in my
head that I wanted to find out if I can distinguish the two cases.

 > > Also, while trying out different things, it seems simple
assignments on
 > > phi like here
 > > int x;
 > > if (argc == 1) {
 > > x = 1; // x_5
 > > } else {
 > > x = 0; // x_4
 > > }
 > > printf("%i", 5 / x); // x_2
 > > automatically work such that x_2 already inherits the state from
 > > x_4/x_5 without me doing anything inside my sm's on_phi function.
Same
 > > for the simple y = 0; x = y; case. Where does this happen inside
the
 > > code?
 >
 > With the caveat that I'm seeing your code, what's probably happening
is
 > that we have either:
 >
 > BB (a):
 > x_5 = 1;
 > goto BB (c);
 >
 > BB (b):
 > x_4 = 0;
 > goto BB (c);
 >
 > BB (c):
 > x_2 = PHI (x_5 from (a), x_4 from (b));
I compiled it with -g, so this one is like the dumped gimple.

 > or (at higher optimization levels):
 >
 > BB (a):
 > goto BB (c);
 >
 > BB (b):
 > goto BB (c);
 >
 > BB (c):
 > x_2 = PHI (1 from (a), 0 from (b));
 >
 > and I think that at the phi node we have region_model::handle_phi,
 > which is setting x_2 to either the constant 1 or the constant 0 in
the
 > store, and is calling the on_phi vfunc, leading to on_phi being
called
 > for all state machines.
Thanks, that is the case. The set_value inside handle_phi seems to this
for me.

 > BTW, are you implementing an override for this vfunc:
 > virtual state_machine::state_t get_default_state (const svalue *)
 > const;
 >
 > to capture the inherently known zeroness/nonzeroness of
constant_svalue
 > instances? That would make those constants have that state.
Yeah, I saw that on your nullness check. I tried it on a small example
with and without, but didn't noticed a difference in warnings (except
for not having zero(x_4) inside the supergraph.dot). So if I understood
this right, this is just to have one state less for that
variable/value[0]?

If that is right, is it also favorable to "merge" the stop state and
non_zero state inside the zero state machine because - for now - there
is no warning planned on non-zero values?

[0] less states are favorable because then the analyzer maybe has less
different enodes to visit and thus less runtime(?)

 > Thanks
 > Dave
 >
 > > - Tim

Also another question unrelated to the ones before. I do have a weird
bug in my zero sm[1] but I'm unsure where my sm is flawed. Take for
example, the probably simplest case:
  int x = 0;h
  printf("%d", 42 / x);
If I use inform to emit a notice for my state machine result, it seems
to be correct and I do get following traversal order (by printing the
gimple stmt inside on_stmt):
  x_2 = 0;
  _1 = 42 % x_2;
  # .MEM_4 = VDEF <.MEM_3(D)>
  printf ("%d", _1);
  _5 = 0;
  <L0>:
  # VUSE <.MEM_4>
  return _5;
But if i use my zero_diagnostics and sm_ctxt->warn to emit the warning,
I get an unexpected traversal order of:
  x_2 = 0;
  _1 = 42 / x_2;
  # .MEM_4 = VDEF <.MEM_3(D)>
  printf ("%d", _1);
  _5 = 0;
  <L0>:
  # VUSE <.MEM_4>
  return _5;
  x_2 = 0; 		<-- why do I get these stmts again but they are not as
duplicated in the e-supergraph?
  _1 = 42 / x_2;
  _5 = 0;
  _1 = 42 / x_2;
  _5 = 0;
I tracked the cause down the call stack to
m_saved_diagnostics.safe_push (sd); inside
diagnostic_manager::add_diagnostic. For whatever reason, the pushing of
diagnostics bricks the zero sm. It might be a embarrassing error on my
side, but I'm stuck on this and can't seem to find what I'm doing wrong.

- Tim

[1]
https://github.com/timll/gcc/blob/castsize/gcc/analyzer/sm-zero.cc#L181