* Welcome GCC GSoC 2021 participants
@ 2021-05-18 16:22 Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-05-18 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cohenarthur.dev, hailankurthegr8, pratapagirivishnumadhav,
	wenzhang5800, Nathan Sidwell, Philip Herron, David Malcolm

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that four students will be working on GCC
Google Summer of Code (GSoC) projects in 2021:

 - Ankur Saini will be working on "Extending C++ support for static
   analysis pass." This project will be mentored by David Malcolm.

 - Arthur Cohen will work on "Cargo tool for Rust-GCC" and be mentored
   by Philip Herron with occasional help from other Embecosm folk.

 - Wenzhang Yang will also work on the new Rust front-end, on a
   project called "Static analysis for unreachable functions."  Like
   Arthur, the project will be mentored by Philip Herron with
   occasional help from others at Embecosm.

 - Vishnu Madhav will "Make Cp-demangler non recursive" and will be
   mentored by me and Nathan Sidwell.

I'd like to congratulate all of them for putting together very solid
proposals and wish them best of luck with their projects.

All accepted students which do not already have one must request a
copyright assignment[1] as soon as possible.  Please email the
following information to assign@gnu.org and they will send you the
assignment form for your past and future changes.  Use your full legal
name (in ASCII characters) as the subject line of the message.  The
"program or package" is of course GCC.

REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

Please report back to me when you have completed the process and also if
you encounter any issues and/or unreasonably long delays.

The GSoC program has now entered its "community bonding period" which
lasts until June 7th.  During this time you should get in touch with
your mentors unless you have already done so and probably start
looking quite a bit more at GCC in general.  Because GCC targets many
computer platforms, you may also find it very useful to get an account
on the compile farm[2] so that you can test your code on a variety of
architectures.  Last but not least, feel free to raise any question
you might have on an appropriate mailing list[3] or say hi to us on
the gcc development IRC channel [4].

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the organizational part
of GSoC 2021 or just don't know who else to reach out to, feel free to
contact me throughout the duration of the program.

Once more, congratulations and good luck!

Martin

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal
[2] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm
[3] https://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html
[4] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCConIRC

* Re: Welcome GCC GSoC 2021 participants
@ 2021-05-23 12:29 ` Ankur Saini
From: Ankur Saini @ 2021-05-23 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

> On 18-May-2021, at 9:52 PM, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>
> All accepted students which do not already have one must request a
> copyright assignment[1] as soon as possible.  Please email the
> following information to assign@gnu.org and they will send you the
> assignment form for your past and future changes.  Use your full legal
> name (in ASCII characters) as the subject line of the message.  The
> "program or package" is of course GCC.

I sent a mail requesting the same to assign@gnu.org <mailto:assign@gnu.org> on 19th-May-2021, and haven’t received any response till now. Is this common to have them take this long ?

Thank you,
- Ankur

* Re: Welcome GCC GSoC 2021 participants
@ 2021-05-24  9:42   ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-05-24  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankur Saini; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

On Sun, May 23 2021, Ankur Saini wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> On 18-May-2021, at 9:52 PM, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>>
>> All accepted students which do not already have one must request a
>> copyright assignment[1] as soon as possible.  Please email the
>> following information to assign@gnu.org and they will send you the
>> assignment form for your past and future changes.  Use your full legal
>> name (in ASCII characters) as the subject line of the message.  The
>> "program or package" is of course GCC.
>>

> I sent a mail requesting the same to assign@gnu.org
> <mailto:assign@gnu.org> on 19th-May-2021, and haven’t received any
> response till now. Is this common to have them take this long ?

Unfortunately, it has happened in the past.

Please remind them about your request every week or so until they
respond.  If the delay interferes with your project, let me know and I
will talk to our steering committee and others about the situation.

Thanks,

Martin

* Re: Welcome GCC GSoC 2021 participants
@ 2021-05-28 12:37     ` Ankur Saini
From: Ankur Saini @ 2021-05-28 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

> On 24-May-2021, at 3:12 PM, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, May 23 2021, Ankur Saini wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> On 18-May-2021, at 9:52 PM, Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> All accepted students which do not already have one must request a
>>> copyright assignment[1] as soon as possible.  Please email the
>>> following information to assign@gnu.org and they will send you the
>>> assignment form for your past and future changes.  Use your full legal
>>> name (in ASCII characters) as the subject line of the message.  The
>>> "program or package" is of course GCC.
>>>

>> I sent a mail requesting the same to assign@gnu.org
>> <mailto:assign@gnu.org> on 19th-May-2021, and haven’t received any
>> response till now. Is this common to have them take this long ?
>
> Unfortunately, it has happened in the past.
>
> Please remind them about your request every week or so until they
> respond.  If the delay interferes with your project, let me know and I
> will talk to our steering committee and others about the situation.

Thanks for information : )
Actually not long after this, they sent the form for signing and today I have finally got my complete assignment in hand with me.

Thanks,

- Ankur