From: "Martin Liška" <mliska@suse.cz>
To: Georg-Johann Lay <avr@gjlay.de>,
	Jonathan Wakely <jwakely@redhat.com>,
	Richard Biener <richard.guenther@gmail.com>
Cc: gcc@gcc.gnu.org, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Subject: Re: Links to web pages are broken.
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 13:31:40 +0100	[thread overview]

On 11/11/22 13:14, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:

> Am 11.11.22 um 09:48 schrieb Martin Liška:
>> On 11/10/22 18:01, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>> Maybe just "docs" or "trunkdocs" or "latestdocs" instead of
>>> "onlinedocs-new", since that is (1) very long, and (2) will look silly
>>> in ten years when it's not new and we need to add
>>> onlinedocs-even-newer 😉
>>
>> I do support it, it would be probably nicer than the complicated Rewrite rule
>> Jonathan prepared.
>>

>>> Or even onlinedocs/latest/ for the new stuff, and leave the old stuff
>>> there in onlinedocs/ (without linking to it) so that old links work.
>>
>> I think we should add a new HTML header to the older documentation
>> saying that's legacy. Something one can see here:
>> https://matplotlib.org/3.3.4/tutorials/index.html
>>
>> Martin
>
> Why it's legacy?
>
> If I want docs for v12.2, then I don't care whether its generated by sphinx or texinfo.
>
> Just using a different documentation system won't render the very content legacy?

Sure, that will be very same story only we'll have an older releases using Sphinx.
I'm not fully convinced, but e.g. adding the banner for all unsupported branches seems
reasonable to me. But I don't have a strong opinion about it.

> I think it's a good idea to keep the old docs under their known URLs.
>

> BTW, also search results from search engines are all 404.

You mean Google links, right? Correct, so that's why we incline now to keeping
old links and introducing a new url /docs

Thanks for comments,
Martin