* GNU Toolchain Fund established at the Free Software Foundation
@ 2017-03-09 19:49 David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2017-03-09 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development, gdb, Binutils Development, GNU C Library

A fund to benefit the components of the GNU Toolchain (GCC, GDB,
GLIBC, Binutils, Sourceware) has been established at the Free Software
Foundation.

Personal and corporate donations are welcome!

http://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-toolchain-now-accepting-donations-with-the-support-of-the-free-software-foundation

Thanks, David

* Re: GNU Toolchain Fund established at the Free Software Foundation
@ 2017-03-10  1:49 ` Ian Lance Taylor via gcc
From: Ian Lance Taylor via gcc @ 2017-03-10  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: GCC Development, gdb, Binutils Development, GNU C Library

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> A fund to benefit the components of the GNU Toolchain (GCC, GDB,
> GLIBC, Binutils, Sourceware) has been established at the Free Software
> Foundation.
>
> Personal and corporate donations are welcome!
>
> http://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-toolchain-now-accepting-donations-with-the-support-of-the-free-software-foundation

That is great news.  Thanks.

Is the membership of the committee who will oversee the funds public?

Ian

* Re: GNU Toolchain Fund established at the Free Software Foundation
@ 2017-03-10  2:08   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2017-03-10  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor
  Cc: GCC Development, gdb, Binutils Development, GNU C Library

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A fund to benefit the components of the GNU Toolchain (GCC, GDB,
>> GLIBC, Binutils, Sourceware) has been established at the Free Software
>> Foundation.
>>
>> Personal and corporate donations are welcome!
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-toolchain-now-accepting-donations-with-the-support-of-the-free-software-foundation
>
> That is great news.  Thanks.
>
> Is the membership of the committee who will oversee the funds public?

The Trustees are Carlos O'Donell, Joel Broebecker and me.  Carlos,
Joel and I have no interest in active fundraising, soliciting
proposals, debating or voting on how to spend the money.  The GNU
Toolchain community and project leadership can decide on projects and
we will direct the FSF to distribute the funds.

As discussed at the last Cauldron, the first interest of the community
seems to be the shared infrastructure of Sourceware: hosting, system
administration, backups, and updating the websites.

@ 2017-03-10  9:37     ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2017-03-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn, Ian Lance Taylor
  Cc: GCC Development, gdb, Binutils Development, GNU C Library

On 03/10/2017 03:08 AM, David Edelsohn wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM, David Edelsohn <dje.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> As discussed at the last Cauldron, the first interest of the community
> seems to be the shared infrastructure of Sourceware: hosting, system
> administration, backups, and updating the websites.

There was also a suggestion of funding travel for speakers at the GNU
Cauldron, for people who might not be able to afford the travel otherwise.

Jim