* help on - how to specify architecture information to gcc
@ 2009-09-21 11:52 ddmetro
From: ddmetro @ 2009-09-21 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi All,
         Our project is to optimize instruction scheduling in gcc. It
requires us to specify architecture information
(basically number of cycles per instruction, stall and branch delays)
to gcc, to optimize structural hazard detection.

Problem: Is there any specific format in which we can specify this
information to gcc? Is it possible to embed this additional
architecture specific detail, in .md files?

Target language for which optimization is being done: C
Target machine architecture: i686
GCC version: 4.4.1

         If none of the above options work, we were planning to put
the information manually in a file and make gcc read it each time it
loads. Any suggestions/comments on this approach?

         Couldn't find a related thread. Hence a new one.

Thanking All,
- Dhiraj.

* RE: help on - how to specify architecture information to gcc
@ 2009-09-21 12:18 ` Bingfeng Mei
From: Bingfeng Mei @ 2009-09-21 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ddmetro, gcc

You should check how to construct DFA for your target architecture.
Look at "Specifying processor pipeline description" in GCC internal
manual and checked out how other architectures do it.

-Bingfeng

* RE: help on - how to get the .dfa output file in gcc
@ 2009-09-29 23:15   ` ddmetro
From: ddmetro @ 2009-09-29 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Thanks Bingfeng.

We are now facing the following problem:
We are trying to get the .dfa output file, showing details about the
automaton constructed. However we are unable to do so.

We tried
(a.)uncommenting - (automata_option "v") - in ia64.md file
(b.)adding v_flag = 1 in gen_automata_option() function of genautomata.c
file
and running: make insn-automata.c
None of these gave a .dfa output file.

Target language for which optimization is being done: C
Target machine architecture: i686
GCC version: 4.4.1

Kindly help us with our issue.

Thanking All
-Dhiraj

* RE: got the .dfa output file in gcc
@ 2009-10-03 18:35     ` ddmetro
From: ddmetro @ 2009-10-03 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi All,
         Got the output i386.dfa file in the location -
{$gcc_home}/host-i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc.
         Followed 2 steps:
1. In the initiate_automaton_gen() function of 'genautomata.c', initialize
the v_flag variable to 1 i.e., v_flag = 1;
2. Build target 'insn-automata.c'.

-Dhiraj