* [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-01 15:42 Ryan Mansfield
From: Ryan Mansfield @ 2009-09-01 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is it required that the same compiler that generated lto objects be used
to read them? I've come across a couple ICEs with the current revision
reading lto objects created by a slightly older version  but same
configuration. Is this simply invalid usage of my part?

Regards,

Ryan Mansfield

* Re: [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-01 15:43 ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2009-09-01 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmansfield; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:42, Ryan Mansfield<rmansfield@qnx.com> wrote:
> Is it required that the same compiler that generated lto objects be used to
> read them? I've come across a couple ICEs with the current revision reading
> lto objects created by a slightly older version  but same configuration. Is
> this simply invalid usage of my part?

It's likely.  How much drift between the two revisions?  Can you
recreate the ICE if you write and read with the exact same revision?
If so, please file a bug.

Diego.

* Re: [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-01 17:45   ` Ryan Mansfield
From: Ryan Mansfield @ 2009-09-01 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: gcc

Diego Novillo wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:42, Ryan Mansfield<rmansfield@qnx.com> wrote:
>> Is it required that the same compiler that generated lto objects be used to
>> read them? I've come across a couple ICEs with the current revision reading
>> lto objects created by a slightly older version  but same configuration. Is
>> this simply invalid usage of my part?
>
> It's likely.  How much drift between the two revisions?  Can you
> recreate the ICE if you write and read with the exact same revision?
> If so, please file a bug.

The objects were created with rev 151111 and being read using 151271.
No, I can't reproduce the ICE using the same version.

Thanks for confirming this is not expected to work.

@ 2009-09-01 18:32     ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2009-09-01 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rmansfield; +Cc: Diego Novillo, gcc

Ryan Mansfield <rmansfield@qnx.com> writes:

> The objects were created with rev 151111 and being read using 151271.
> No, I can't reproduce the ICE using the same version.
> Thanks for confirming this is not expected to work.

Is it the intent that this work properly in the future?  It is not
absurd to imagine that someone with a treeful of .o files might suffer
an unexpected compiler upgrade before a later reuse/relink attempt.

- FChE

* Re: [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-01 18:39       ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2009-09-01 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler; +Cc: rmansfield, gcc

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 14:32, Frank Ch. Eigler<fche@redhat.com> wrote:
> Ryan Mansfield <rmansfield@qnx.com> writes:
>
>> The objects were created with rev 151111 and being read using 151271.
>> No, I can't reproduce the ICE using the same version.
>> Thanks for confirming this is not expected to work.
>
> Is it the intent that this work properly in the future?

Yes.  We likely want to maintain streamer compatibility within the
same major release.  I actually don't think we'll change the bytecode
format too much.  It will mostly depend on how much gimple changes in
a single release.

Clearly, we need better version drift detection.

Diego.

* Re: [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-01 20:55   ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2009-09-01 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Novillo; +Cc: rmansfield, gcc

Diego Novillo wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:42, Ryan Mansfield<rmansfield@qnx.com> wrote:

>> Is it required that the same compiler that generated lto objects be used to
>> read them? I've come across a couple ICEs with the current revision reading
>> lto objects created by a slightly older version  but same configuration. Is
>> this simply invalid usage of my part?
>
> It's likely.  How much drift between the two revisions?  Can you
> recreate the ICE if you write and read with the exact same revision?
> If so, please file a bug.

Please add version checking.  gfortran's module files (extension .mod)
that are generated from source files that contain MODULE ... END MODULE
constructs *now* contain version information.

I still get occasionally beaten by picking up modules from 4.3 that
don't have this - you'll get all sorts of unintelligible error messages
that just distract from what's really wrong.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/

* Re: [lto] Reader-writer compatibility?
@ 2009-09-02  9:23     ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2009-09-02  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: Diego Novillo, rmansfield, gcc

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Toon Moene<toon@moene.org> wrote:
> Diego Novillo wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:42, Ryan Mansfield<rmansfield@qnx.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is it required that the same compiler that generated lto objects be used
>>> read them? I've come across a couple ICEs with the current revision
>>> reading
>>> lto objects created by a slightly older version  but same configuration.
>>> Is
>>> this simply invalid usage of my part?
>>
>> It's likely.  How much drift between the two revisions?  Can you
>> recreate the ICE if you write and read with the exact same revision?
>> If so, please file a bug.
>
> Please add version checking.  gfortran's module files (extension .mod) that
> are generated from source files that contain MODULE ... END MODULE
> constructs *now* contain version information.
>
> I still get occasionally beaten by picking up modules from 4.3 that don't
> have this - you'll get all sorts of unintelligible error messages that just
> distract from what's really wrong.

There is bytecode version information - we just didn't bother to bump
it on the branch.

Richard.