* gm2 development status (tracking gcc-12 20211209)
@ 2021-12-16 20:43 Gaius Mulley
From: Gaius Mulley @ 2021-12-16 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rguenther, gcc

I've been testing the gm2 development branch (based on gcc-12)
against lto and non lto builds.

  git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git gcc-git
  cd gcc-git
  git checkout devel/modula-2

I'm using the configure options:

    CXXFLAGS="-g" CFLAGS="-g $PROFILE" ${absdir}/configure \
            --prefix=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR} \
            --libexecdir=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR}/lib \
            --enable-threads=posix \
            --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=${LANGUAGES} \
            --disable-multilib  --enable-checking \
            --enable-long-longx \
	    --enable-bootstrap

and building using: make -j 12.

Without lto the repro above (from Dec 9th) passes all gm2 regressions
on the amd64 architecture and does not introduce any regression tests
for the languages (c,c++,go,fortran).

With lto there are no extra errors introduced compared between other
languages.  However I do see many large set regression test failures
in gm2 when lto is enabled.  I'm using the configure arguments:

    CXXFLAGS="-g" CFLAGS="-g $PROFILE" ${absdir}/configure \
            --prefix=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR} \
            --libexecdir=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR}/lib \
            --enable-threads=posix \
            --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=${LANGUAGES} \
            --disable-multilib  --enable-checking \
            --enable-long-longx \
	    --enable-bootstrap \
            --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto-lean

and building with

   make -j 12 profiledbootstrap-lean

The good news is that I can test and hunt for the large set failures
(diff the execution of the cc1gm2 built with/without lto) and also good
that gm2 builds with lto.  [Interestingly there has been a problem with
large sets and sparc64 and a 64 bit powerppc variant - so hopefully this
could all be the same bug.. maybe].  From some time ago I have a python
script which will run two copies of gdb/cc1gm2 and single step both in
lock step and dump out when they differ.

Aside from the bug(s) above it is looking pretty stable - and was
wondering when or if it would be a good time to merge gm2 into the
trunk?

In the meantime I'll hunt the gm2/lto bug above and keep git merging
(approx weekly) and feed in small patches to the gm2 development
branch,

regards,
Gaius

* Re: gm2 development status (tracking gcc-12 20211209)
@ 2021-12-17  6:07 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2021-12-17  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaius Mulley, gcc

On December 16, 2021 9:43:56 PM GMT+01:00, Gaius Mulley <gaiusmod2@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been testing the gm2 development branch (based on gcc-12)
>against lto and non lto builds.
>
>  git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git gcc-git
>  cd gcc-git
>  git checkout devel/modula-2
>
>I'm using the configure options:
>
>    CXXFLAGS="-g" CFLAGS="-g $PROFILE" ${absdir}/configure \
>            --prefix=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR} \
>            --libexecdir=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR}/lib \
>            --enable-threads=posix \
>            --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=${LANGUAGES} \
>            --disable-multilib  --enable-checking \
>            --enable-long-longx \
>	    --enable-bootstrap
>
>and building using: make -j 12.
>
>Without lto the repro above (from Dec 9th) passes all gm2 regressions
>on the amd64 architecture and does not introduce any regression tests
>for the languages (c,c++,go,fortran).
>
>With lto there are no extra errors introduced compared between other
>languages.  However I do see many large set regression test failures
>in gm2 when lto is enabled.  I'm using the configure arguments:
>
>    CXXFLAGS="-g" CFLAGS="-g $PROFILE" ${absdir}/configure \
>            --prefix=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR} \
>            --libexecdir=$HOME/${INSTALLDIR}/lib \
>            --enable-threads=posix \
>            --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=${LANGUAGES} \
>            --disable-multilib  --enable-checking \
>            --enable-long-longx \
>	    --enable-bootstrap \
>            --with-build-config=bootstrap-lto-lean
>
>and building with
>
>   make -j 12 profiledbootstrap-lean
>
>The good news is that I can test and hunt for the large set failures
>(diff the execution of the cc1gm2 built with/without lto) and also good
>that gm2 builds with lto.  [Interestingly there has been a problem with
>large sets and sparc64 and a 64 bit powerppc variant - so hopefully this
>could all be the same bug.. maybe].  From some time ago I have a python
>script which will run two copies of gdb/cc1gm2 and single step both in
>lock step and dump out when they differ.
>
>Aside from the bug(s) above it is looking pretty stable - and was
>wondering when or if it would be a good time to merge gm2 into the
>trunk?

Merging early in stage1 would make most sense.

Richard.

@ 2021-12-17 10:24   ` Gaius Mulley
From: Gaius Mulley @ 2021-12-17 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc, doko

Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de> writes:

>>Aside from the bug(s) above it is looking pretty stable - and was
>>wondering when or if it would be a good time to merge gm2 into the
>>trunk?
>
> Merging early in stage1 would make most sense.

yes, sure - sounds sensible.  I'll polish, patch, git merge, test and
bug hunt in devel/modula-2 ready for inclusion early in stage1,

regards,
Gaius