* A question about a possible build problem.
@ 2005-06-29  6:04 George R Goffe
From: George R Goffe @ 2005-06-29  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Howdy,

I'm building gcc version "gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 20050627" from cvs
successfully on my redhat enterprise linux 3 update 4 system and
then turning around and building it again with itself by repeating
the exact process via a script. The second build fails with the
following:

snip-----------

tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory
tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory
tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [gnucompare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tools/gnu/gccdev/obj.Linux.2.4.21/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Am I doing something stupid or is this a bug?

Any/all hints/tips/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George...

=====
    _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ -----
   _/       _/       _/    _/ _/    _/ _/       _/
  _/  _/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/_/_/_/ _/  _/_/ _/_/_/_/ -----
 _/    _/ _/       _/    _/ _/    _/ _/    _/ _/
_/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/    _/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ -----
"It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't so." Will Rogers

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: A question about a possible build problem.
@ 2005-06-29  7:08 ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2005-06-29  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George R Goffe; +Cc: gcc

George R Goffe <grgoffe@yahoo.com> writes:

> tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory
> tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory
> tail: cannot open `+16c' for reading: No such file or directory

You have the buggy version of coreutils that does not recognize
old-fashioned options.  You may be able to work around this with
'export _POSIX2_VERSION=199209' (or equivalent construct if you are
using some other shell).

zw