* Looney Toon tries his hand at something slightly more complex thanstraight Fortran 77
@ 1998-04-02 11:32 Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 1998-04-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Bear with me ;-)

Courtesy of Greg Lindahl, I've access to an Alpha/Linux (Red Hat
4.2) 500 Mhz, 21164 box.  config.guess says:

alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnulibc1

I've set up the CVS connection, downloaded a fresh copy this
afternoon and started building.  Because I am a nobody on this
machine, I --prefix everything with $HOME/usrlocal <grin>

So far, so good.  However, when trying to link f771 (The Holy Grail
of this endeavour), the build dies with the dreaded "Truncated
relocation to fit: blah-blah" message.

Because I tend to keep up with the egcs and egcs-bugs mailing
lists, I thought I knew what the solution was (it is, however, not
mentioned in the FAQ):  Get a recent version of binutils.

So I did.  Note that the link to binutils (source) in the FAQ is
stale (.20 - it's now at .23).

Built binutils 2.8.1.0.23 with --prefix as above.  No complaints,
except for some scary-looking "Warning: cast from pointer to integer
of different size" messages <brrr>

Emptied build directory of egcs.  Reconfigured (same --prefix).
Typed `make bootstrap' again.

Build dies when trying to execute ./gengenrtl.  Gdb shows:

$ gdb gcc/gengenrtl
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for
details.
GDB 4.16 (alpha-unknown-linux), Copyright 1996 Free Software
Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /part2/burley/obj/gcc/gengenrtl

0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
#1  0x1555555e688 in _dl_runtime_resolve ()
(gdb) quit

What does this mean (if anything) ?

Do I also need to upgrade to glibc-2 (shudder) ?  How does one do
that, as a nobody ?

[ And then to recall that this all started as an effort to check
  Richard Henderson's "negative array bound" patch, sigh ]

Confusingly yours,
Toon.

* Re: Looney Toon tries his hand at something slightly more complex than straight Fortran 77
@ 1998-04-04 11:01 ` Richard Henderson
From: Richard Henderson @ 1998-04-04 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toon Moene; +Cc: egcs

> 0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
> #1  0x1555555e688 in _dl_runtime_resolve ()
> (gdb) quit
>
> What does this mean (if anything) ?

It means that, due to bugs in older versions of binutils, it is not as
simple as it ought to be to upgrade from 2.7.0.2 (shipped with RH4.x)
to 2.8.1.x.

The best solution is to upgrade to RH 5.0.  If it is absolutely required
that the machine stay at RH 4.2, I may be able to provide replacement RPMs.

> Do I also need to upgrade to glibc-2 (shudder) ?  How does one do
> that, as a nobody ?

You don't.  You have to be root to upgrade.

r~

* Re: Looney Toon tries his hand at something slightly more complexthan straight Fortran 77
@ 1998-04-04 13:29   ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 1998-04-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson, Greg Lindahl; +Cc: egcs

[ ... describing failure when trying to combine egcs-980402-CVS with
      binutils-2.8.1.0.23 ... ]

I wrote:

>> 0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
>> (gdb) bt
>> #0  0x1555555e3e8 in fixup ()
>> #1  0x1555555e688 in _dl_runtime_resolve ()
> (gdb) quit
>>
>> What does this mean (if anything) ?

Richard Henderson replied:

>  It means that, due to bugs in older versions of binutils,
>  it is not as simple as it ought to be to upgrade from
>  2.7.0.2 (shipped with RH4.x) to 2.8.1.x.
>
>  The best solution is to upgrade to RH 5.0.  If it is
>  absolutely required that the machine stay at RH 4.2, I
>  may be able to provide replacement RPMs.

Hmmm, as I noted before, this isn't *my* machine ... could you name
the RPMs (and whether they can be installed by Someone Of Little
Privilege) ?

>> Do I also need to upgrade to glibc-2 (shudder) ?  How does one do
>> that, as a nobody ?

> You don't.  You have to be root to upgrade.

OK, that's out - then.

Thanks,

@ 1998-04-05  1:46   ` Harvey J. Stein
From: Harvey J. Stein @ 1998-04-05  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Henderson; +Cc: hjstein

Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com> writes:

> It means that, due to bugs in older versions of binutils, it is not as
> simple as it ought to be to upgrade from 2.7.0.2 (shipped with RH4.x)
> to 2.8.1.x.
>
> The best solution is to upgrade to RH 5.0.  If it is absolutely required
> that the machine stay at RH 4.2, I may be able to provide replacement RPMs.

I'd like a replacement RPM, please.  I have a bunch of machines
running RH 4.2, and I can't upgrade to RH 5.0 due to various bugs &
problems with it.  And, I'm seeing quite a few programs that I can't
build because of an old binutils.

Thanks,

Harvey J. Stein
Berger Financial Research