* Welcome GCC GSoC 2022 participants
@ 2022-05-23 18:24 Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-05-23 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: timll1402, ndrwnaguib, mirimmad17, 19062002, nitinkumar4268,
	wileamyp, Philip Herron, David Malcolm, Jan Hubicka,
	Tobias Burnus, Thomas Schwinge, arthur.cohen

Hello,

I am pleased to announce that as many as six contributors will be
working on GCC Google Summer of Code (GSoC) projects in 2022!  In no
particular order:

- Faisal Abbas will be working on "Complete Support for Constant
  Folding in GCC Rust Front-end." This project will be mentored by
  Philip Herron.

- Immad Mir will "Extend GCCs static analyzer to support checking for
  POSIX file descriptor APIs" and the project will be mentored by
  David Malcolm.

- Andrew Naguib will also work on a Rust front-end project, specifically
  on "Improving debugging experience by enhancing the HIR dump."  The
  project will be mentored by Arthur Cohen and Philip Herron.

- Nitin Kumar will "Bypass assembler when generating LTO object files"
  and in that effort will be mentored by Jan Hubička and myself.

- Tim Lange will add "New checkers for GCC’s static analyzer" and will
  be mentored by David Malcolm.

- Wileam Phan has succeeded with a project on "Accelerating Fortran DO
  CONCURRENT in GCC."  The mentors will be Tobias Burnus and Thomas
  Schwinge.

I'd like to congratulate all of them for putting together very solid
proposals and wish them best of luck with their projects.

The GSoC program has now entered its "community bonding period" which
lasts until June 13th.  During this time you should get in touch with
your mentors unless you have already done so and probably start
looking quite a bit more at GCC in general.

In the initial discussion with your mentors, please take a while to talk
about the time-frame of your project.  If you are happy with the
standard one (mid-term evaluation deadline on July 29th, final deadline
on September 12th) you are all set.  This year the program can however
also accommodate non-standard schedules within some constraints, see
suggestions at:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/2022-project-dates

If you want to change the duration of your project, first please reach
an agreement with your mentor and then email me.

Because GCC targets many computer platforms, you may also find it very
useful to get an account on the compile farm so that you can test your
code on a variety of architectures.  For more details, see
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

I'd also like to ask all six accepted contributors to take a few
minutes to familiarize themselves with the legal pre-requisites that
we have for contributing.  There are two options.  The much simpler
one is that copyright remains with you but you provide a "Developer
Certificate of Origin" for your contributions.  You can do that by
adding a "Signed-off-by:" tag to all your patches.  The second option
is to assign your copyright to the Free Software Foundation (if anyone
wants to do this, please let me know and I will help).  More
information about both is at:
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#legal

Last but not least, feel free to raise any question you might have on
an appropriate mailing list (https://gcc.gnu.org/lists.html) or say hi
to us on the gcc development IRC channel
(https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCConIRC).

If you have any concerns or questions regarding the organizational part
of GSoC 2022 or just don't know who else to reach out to, feel free to
contact me throughout the duration of the program.

Once more, congratulations and good luck!

Martin

* Re: Welcome GCC GSoC 2022 participants
@ 2022-05-23 18:50 ` Wileam Yonatan Phan
From: Wileam Yonatan Phan @ 2022-05-23 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: timll1402, ndrwnaguib, mirimmad17, 19062002, nitinkumar4268,
	Philip Herron, David Malcolm, Jan Hubicka, Tobias Burnus,
	Thomas Schwinge, arthur.cohen

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the quick introduction, Martin! And greetings to my fellow
GSoC contributors: Faisal, Immad, Andrew, Nitin, and Tim. Hoping that we can
get along with each other well! And for the mentors, please be patient with us
as we learn the ropes... :joy:

I'm personally excited for my GSoC project because upon successful completion
of the project, GFortran will be the 2nd compiler to be able to offload DO
CONCURRENT to GPUs after NVIDIA nvfortran. AFAIK currently there are only three
compilers that can process DO CONCURRENT for execution on the CPU (let alone
GPU): gfortran, nvfortran, and Intel ifort.

I'll be honest: this is my first foray deep into compiler technology, and I'm
thankful for this opportunity through GSoC to jump head-first into it. Just
like learning a foreign language, the best way to do it is full immersion in a
native country. It will be a lot of work, but I think I'll enjoy it a lot too.

I will try my best to document my progress on both my personal website at <
https://wyphan.github.io>, at the Fortran Discourse forum thread at
<
https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/t/gsoc-2022-accelerating-fortran-do-concurrent-in-gcc/3269
>, and here through this mailing list.