* Reg. Assistance in development of code for OS
@ 2021-03-04  6:02 Suhan Gautam
From: Suhan Gautam @ 2021-03-04  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Sir,
I am persuing B. Tech. in Computer Science from a reputed College in Delhi
NCR. I have domain knowledge of software languages like Java, Python, PHP,
C ++, C. In addition I Am adept in DBase related softwares like Oracle. I
would request your kind self to provide me an opportunity to iro coding in
OS softwares. This will definitely help me in developing my skills in this
niche field.

Thanking you,

With best regards,

Suhan Gautam.

* Re: Reg. Assistance in development of code for OS
@ 2021-03-04  9:00 ` rdos
From: rdos @ 2021-03-04  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhan Gautam; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

My OS project has a very long history (I started with it in 1988) and it
is running on 1000s of installations. Thus, it's a pretty mature
project. Doing something meaningful on the kernel side requires a lot of
knowledge of how it operates, and I'm afraid there is no more
documentation than what is on my homepage (http://www.rdos.net/rdos),
and you would need to read the source code for the rest. Also, most of
the kernel code is in x86 assembler using segmentation. Still, I could
of course give you advice on things. Note that this is not an academic
project, rather started as a hobby project and now is part of commercial
software. It's not Posix or Unix-like, nor Windows-like, rather was
designed from scratch.

The only project idea I currently have is to move the file system
drivers to a new operational model which I discussed here:
https://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40928

Regards,
Leif Ekblad

---

@ 2021-03-04 14:00   ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2021-03-04 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rdos; +Cc: Suhan Gautam, GCC

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 3:00 AM <rdos@rdos.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My OS project has a very long history (I started with it in 1988) and it
> is running on 1000s of installations. Thus, it's a pretty mature
> project. Doing something meaningful on the kernel side requires a lot of
> knowledge of how it operates, and I'm afraid there is no more
> documentation than what is on my homepage (http://www.rdos.net/rdos),
> and you would need to read the source code for the rest. Also, most of
> the kernel code is in x86 assembler using segmentation. Still, I could
> of course give you advice on things. Note that this is not an academic
> project, rather started as a hobby project and now is part of commercial
> software. It's not Posix or Unix-like, nor Windows-like, rather was
> designed from scratch.
>
> The only project idea I currently have is to move the file system
> drivers to a new operational model which I discussed here:
> https://forum.osdev.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40928

This is the wrong forum for this but I don't want to discourage anyone
from contributing to a FLOSS project. :)

RTEMS.org  is a real-time OS of similar age as RDOS. Our origin is also
1988. We support almost 20 target architectures and ~200 BSPs. RTEMS
is a single address space, multi-threaded RTOS and has a significant amount
of POSIX support. We have multiple  filesystems, networking, SMP, etc.
We have regularly participated in Google Summer of Code and keep an
active list of open projects and smaller tasks.  We keep these as tickets
and this page provides a list of them. We are also open to other ideas:

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/OpenProjects

Like RDOS, it is harder to find work on the core itself but there are lots
of other areas to contribute.

In fairness, there are lots of free OS projects out there, each with a
different mission and targeted set of users. Find one that interests
you.  Those that have participated in student programs like GSoC
are going to tend to have open projects pages.

--joel
RTEMS