* Question about constructing vector types in GIMPLE pass
@ 2024-04-08 13:18 Hanke Zhang
From: Hanke Zhang @ 2024-04-08 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

Hi,
I've been working on strengthening auto-vectorization on intel CPUs
recently. I tried to do it in the GIMPLE pass. And I noticed that some
vector types in the GIMPLE code are confusing to me. The example code
is here:

_1 = MEM[(const __m256i_u * {ref-all})_2];

I wondered how I could construct or get the type `(const __m256i_u *
{ref-all})` in the GIMPLE pass.

If you have any ideas that can help me. I'll be so grateful! :)

Thanks
Hanke Zhang

* Re: Question about constructing vector types in GIMPLE pass
@ 2024-04-08 19:01 ` Marc Glisse
From: Marc Glisse @ 2024-04-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanke Zhang; +Cc: GCC Development

On Mon, 8 Apr 2024, Hanke Zhang via Gcc wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been working on strengthening auto-vectorization on intel CPUs
> recently. I tried to do it in the GIMPLE pass. And I noticed that some
> vector types in the GIMPLE code are confusing to me. The example code
> is here:
>
> _1 = MEM[(const __m256i_u * {ref-all})_2];
>
> I wondered how I could construct or get the type `(const __m256i_u *
> {ref-all})` in the GIMPLE pass.
>
> If you have any ideas that can help me. I'll be so grateful! :)

I am not sure what you are asking exactly. If you already have access to
such a MEM_REF, then the doc tells you where to look for this type:

"The first operand is the pointer being dereferenced; it will always have
pointer or reference type.  The second operand is a pointer constant
serving as constant offset applied to the pointer being dereferenced
with its type specifying the type to be used for type-based alias
analysis.
The type of the node specifies the alignment of the access."

If you want to create a new type similar to this one, you can build it
with various tools:

build_vector_type or build_vector_type_for_mode
build_pointer_type_for_mode(*, VOIDmode, true) to build a pointer that can alias anything
build_qualified_type to add const (probably useless)
build_aligned_type to specify that it is unaligned

--
Marc Glisse

* Re: Question about constructing vector types in GIMPLE pass
@ 2024-04-09  2:40   ` Hanke Zhang
From: Hanke Zhang @ 2024-04-09  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply.

I want to create a new type similar to this one `(const __m256i_u *
{ref-all})` indeed. And I try to create it via these calls:

tree type = build_vector_type_for_mode (intDI_type_node, V4DImode);
tree type_p = build_pointer_type_for_mode(type, VOIDmode, true);

But when I print the `type_p`, it shows `vector(4) long int *
{ref-all}`. So I'm confused if they are the same type or can be
transferred to each other.

And I'm stucked with another problem that, I want to call
`__builtin_ia32_pmovmskb256` in the GIMPLE pass. But I found that this
function is defined in `config/i386/i386-builtins.h`. And when I try
to include this header file, the error will occur during the
compilation. If you know any way to solve this problem, I would be
very grateful. :)

Thanks
Hanke Zhang

Marc Glisse <marc.glisse@inria.fr> 于2024年4月9日周二 03:01写道:

@ 2024-04-09  6:58     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2024-04-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hanke Zhang; +Cc: GCC Development

On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 4:42 AM Hanke Zhang via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I want to create a new type similar to this one `(const __m256i_u *
> {ref-all})` indeed. And I try to create it via these calls:
>
> tree type = build_vector_type_for_mode (intDI_type_node, V4DImode);
> tree type_p = build_pointer_type_for_mode(type, VOIDmode, true);
>
> But when I print the `type_p`, it shows `vector(4) long int *
> {ref-all}`. So I'm confused if they are the same type or can be
> transferred to each other.
>
> And I'm stucked with another problem that, I want to call
> `__builtin_ia32_pmovmskb256` in the GIMPLE pass. But I found that this
> function is defined in `config/i386/i386-builtins.h`. And when I try
> to include this header file, the error will occur during the
> compilation. If you know any way to solve this problem, I would be
> very grateful. :)

The type being dumped in the "cast" is the type of the constant offset operand
which is used to determine the type effective for TBAA.

I'll suggest you use -fdump-tree-XXX-gimple which dumps the MEM_REFs in
a more complete way (yeah, should make that default ... but need to adjust
all testcases that scan for them).

You can't call __builtin_ia32_pmovmskb256, you instead should emit
.MASK_LOAD or .MASK_STORE internal function calls.

Richard.