* AutoFDO tools for GCC
@ 2024-03-25 20:52 Eugene Rozenfeld
From: Eugene Rozenfeld @ 2024-03-25 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Snehasish Kumar, Andi Kleen, Jan Hubicka

Hello,

I've been the AutoFDO maintainer for the last 1.5 years. I've resurrected autoprofiledbootstrap build and made a number of other fixes/improvements (e.g., discriminator support).

The tools for AutoFDO (create_gcov, etc.) currently live in https://github.com/google/AutoFDO  repo and GCC AutoFDO documentation points users to that repo. That repo also has tools for LLVM AutoFDO.
https://github.com/google/AutoFDO  has several submodules: https://github.com/google/autofdo/blob/master/.gitmodules

I got a message from Snehasish (cc'd) that google intends to migrate the tools for LLVM to the LLVM repo and wants to archive https://github.com/google/AutoFDO. That will be a problem for AutoFDO in GCC. The idea to find a different home for GCC AutoFDO tools was discussed before on this alias but this becomes more urgent now. One idea was to build these tools from GCC repo and another was to produce gcov from perf tool directly. Andi (cc'd)  had some early unfinished prototype for latter.

Please let me know if you have thoughts on how we should proceed.

Thanks,

Eugene