* Difficulty in implementing a GCC plugin for [[invariant]] contract functions in classes/structs without prior experience?
@ 2022-12-29 15:37 Gavin Ray
From: Gavin Ray @ 2022-12-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hey all,

The feature I appreciate most about the D programming language is its
"Design by Contract" feature.
Contract programming - Dlang Tour
<https://tour.dlang.org/tour/en/gems/contract-programming>

With the recent merge of Contracts to GCC master, C++ comes close to this,
with support for function-based contracts.
The most powerful contract though, is the "invariant" contract:

*invariant() is a special member function of struct and class types that
> allows sanity checking an object's state during its whole lifetime:*

> *- invariant() is called after the constructor has run and before the
> destructor is called.*
> *- invariant() is called before entering a member function*
> *- invariant() is called after exiting a member function.**- Class
> invariants are inherited. That means that a derived class invariant will
> implicitly call the base class invariant.*

I'm very interested in prototyping a GCC plugin to implement support for
transforming all member function calls in class/struct types
such that a call to the [[invariant]]-annotated function (if any) is placed
at the beginning and end of method bodies.

Does anyone have any idea whether something like this would be suitable for
a first plugin,
or if there would be roadblocks/technical challenges to implementing such a
thing?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thank you,
Gavin =)

* Re: Difficulty in implementing a GCC plugin for [[invariant]] contract functions in classes/structs without prior experience?
@ 2022-12-29 18:33 ` Gavin Ray
From: Gavin Ray @ 2022-12-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

So I have prototyped the code here, there are two places where I am
confused:
GCC [[invariant]] plugin for Design by Contract (WIP) (github.com)
<https://gist.github.com/GavinRay97/890a65db4ddea46ec6fb6d92e1a145fb#file-invariant-cpp-L41-L93>

1. Is it proper to cast like this?

tree args = NULL_TREE;
tree tmp_tree = NULL_TREE;
vec<tree, va_gc>** args_ptr = (vec<tree, va_gc>**)&args;

tree call = build_new_method_call(class_type, id, args_ptr, fun->decl,
LOOKUP_NORMAL, &tmp_tree, tf_warning_or_error);

2. At the bottom, I want to call "invariant()" before "return", but I'm not
sure how to phrase this in code. The following doesn't work quite right:
    because you can't compare "gsi_stmt()" and NULL_TREE

        // If the last block is a return block, insert the call before the
return statement.
        if (gsi_stmt(gsi) != NULL_TREE && gimple_code(gsi_stmt(gsi)) ==
GIMPLE_RETURN)
            gsi_insert_before(&gsi, g, GSI_SAME_STMT);
        else
            gsi_insert_after(&gsi, g, GSI_SAME_STMT);

@ 2022-12-30 17:29   ` Gavin Ray
From: Gavin Ray @ 2022-12-30 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc