* What is pex_run
@ 2021-02-25 21:57 Gary Oblock
From: Gary Oblock @ 2021-02-25 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I've got collect2 finding a linker error and I'm out of
other options so I'm poking around in the collect2
sources. I'm wondering what pex_run is (since it's
getting handed the arguments this might mater?)
I figure if I can get collect2 to spill its guts
about what arguments are fed to "ld" I'll have
at least a chance figuring out what in the bleep
is going on... alternate debugging strategies
are welcome.

Thanks,

Gary

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contains information that is confidential and proprietary to Ampere Computing or its subsidiaries. It is to be used solely for the purpose of furthering the parties' business relationship. Any unauthorized review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

* Re: What is pex_run
@ 2021-02-25 22:03 ` Marek Polacek
From: Marek Polacek @ 2021-02-25 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oblock; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 09:57:55PM +0000, Gary Oblock via Gcc wrote:
> I've got collect2 finding a linker error and I'm out of
> other options so I'm poking around in the collect2
> sources. I'm wondering what pex_run is (since it's
> getting handed the arguments this might mater?)

See libiberty/pex-common.c.

Marek

* Re: What is pex_run
@ 2021-02-25 22:45 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2021-02-25 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Oblock; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:26 PM Gary Oblock via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I've got collect2 finding a linker error and I'm out of
> other options so I'm poking around in the collect2
> sources. I'm wondering what pex_run is (since it's
> getting handed the arguments this might mater?)
> I figure if I can get collect2 to spill its guts
> about what arguments are fed to "ld" I'll have
> at least a chance figuring out what in the bleep
> is going on... alternate debugging strategies
> are welcome.

collect2 will dump out a lot of extra information and save temporary
files if passed "-debug" option to collect2 (not to GCC).  In other
words

$ gcc -Wl,-debug -o foo foo.o

Thanks, David