* GSoC project idea
@ 2021-03-11  7:29 srishty bedi
From: srishty bedi @ 2021-03-11  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Greetings,

First of all Congratulations to the gcc community on being selected for
GSOC 2021.

My name is Srishty Bedi, I am a sophomore pursuing btech CSE in India. .I
am interested in web development and have worked with JS,HTML,CSS,bootstrap
for front end and php,pug for backend.

The ideas for gsoc 21 :

1) I was thinking that whenever we run a code on gcc compiler its beautify
feature doesn't work well it shifts the whole code to the left instead so
thought of creating a good beautify feature as we have in vs code so that
the code is easily understandable .

2) And we can also make the gcc compiler accessible to phones and ipads so
that it may be compatible for touch devices also as it will be very
beneficial.

I am very fascinated by the world of open source and I am looking forward
to contributing to this community .

Looking forward to your help and guidance.

Hoping for a positive response from you.

Here is my github link: https://github.com/srishty-07

Regards,

Srishty

* Re: GSoC project idea
@ 2021-03-12 14:33 ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2021-03-12 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: srishty bedi, gcc

On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 12:59 +0530, srishty bedi via Gcc wrote:
> Greetings,

Hi Srishty

Various remarks inline below...

> First of all Congratulations to the gcc community on being selected
> for
> GSOC 2021.
>
> My name is Srishty Bedi, I am a sophomore pursuing btech CSE in
> India. .I
> am interested in web development and have worked with
> JS,HTML,CSS,bootstrap
> for front end and php,pug for backend.

It sounds like your skillset is more on web development than on
compilers.  We don't do much HTML/JS within GCC [1], so I'd recommend
looking at another project that's more aligned to your interests,
especially given that GSoC is much shorter than usual this year - we
are looking for people who are already up-to-speed on C++ and on
compiler internals, and there simply isn't time if you don't already
have some skills in those areas.

> The ideas for gsoc 21 :
>

> 1) I was thinking that whenever we run a code on gcc compiler its
> beautify
> feature doesn't work well it shifts the whole code to the left
> instead so
> thought of creating a good beautify feature as we have in vs code so
> that
> the code is easily understandable .

I'm not sure what you mean by the "beautify feature" shifting "the
whole code to the left".

Are you referring to the way GCC quotes the user's source code when GCC
emits warnings and errors?  I maintain that part of the code, so I'm
interested in hearing of ideas for improvement, but I don't see it
being a GSoC project this year.

> 2) And we can also make the gcc compiler accessible to phones and
> ipads so
> that it may be compatible for touch devices also as it will be very
> beneficial.

It's possible to use GCC from such devices using the excellent
godbolt.org website.

> I am very fascinated by the world of open source and I am looking
> forward
> to contributing to this community .
>
> Looking forward to your help and guidance.
>
> Hoping for a positive response from you.
>
> Here is my github link: https://github.com/srishty-07
>

> Regards,
>
> Srishty

Hope this is helpful; good luck finding a suitable project
David

[1] FWIW I've been working on adding HTML/JS output to GCC:
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-patches/2020-November/558603.html
but the main issues there are on what a web developer would call the
"backend", in terms of populating the HTML with meaningful content, as
opposed to what a web developer would call the "frontend" (templates,
CSS and JS).  i.e. there's some gnarly C++ code that needs overhauling

* Re: GSoC project idea
@ 2021-03-12 17:43   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-03-12 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: srishty bedi, gcc

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 at 15:35, David Malcolm via Gcc wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-03-11 at 12:59 +0530, srishty bedi via Gcc wrote:
> > 1) I was thinking that whenever we run a code on gcc compiler its
> > beautify
> > feature doesn't work well it shifts the whole code to the left
> > instead so
> > thought of creating a good beautify feature as we have in vs code so
> > that
> > the code is easily understandable .
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by the "beautify feature" shifting "the
> whole code to the left".

I wonder if this is actually referring to a feature in an IDE which
happens to use GCC, maybe Code::Blocks of Dev-C++ or something.

> > 2) And we can also make the gcc compiler accessible to phones and
> > ipads so
> > that it may be compatible for touch devices also as it will be very
> > beneficial.
>
> It's possible to use GCC from such devices using the excellent
> godbolt.org website.

I find godbolt.org unusable on an Android phone, the UI just doesn't
fit on a small screen, but that's not a GCC problem.