* Any future plan supporting livepatching in kernel for AArch64?
@ 2019-09-19  4:23 Bin.Cheng
From: Bin.Cheng @ 2019-09-19  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development
  Cc: Maxim Kuvyrkov, huawei.libin, duwe, szabolcs.nagy,
	Richard Earnshaw, takahiro.akashi

Hi,
I read through previous messages which tried to support livepatching
in kernel for AArch64.
Following is the patch supporting mfentry:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-03/msg00756.html
And this is the last message about above thread:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-04/msg01093.html

Here is another patch trying to support a general option, however. it
was not merged either.
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-12/msg01791.html

If I read messages correctly, kernel part is not merged (partly)
because of waiting for GCC.  As a result, we have to apply local
patches, I am wondering if there is any future plan to support it on
AArch64, or no one really uses it?

I CCed patch authors as well as who joined previous discussions,
please let me know if you don't want to be cced in this thread.

Thanks,
bin

* Re: Any future plan supporting livepatching in kernel for AArch64?
@ 2019-09-19  4:56 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2019-09-19  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin.Cheng
  Cc: GCC Development, Maxim Kuvyrkov, Li Bin, duwe, Szabolcs Nagy,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM Bin.Cheng <amker.cheng@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I read through previous messages which tried to support livepatching
> in kernel for AArch64.
> Following is the patch supporting mfentry:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-03/msg00756.html
> And this is the last message about above thread:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-04/msg01093.html
>
> Here is another patch trying to support a general option, however. it
> was not merged either.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-12/msg01791.html
>
> If I read messages correctly, kernel part is not merged (partly)
> because of waiting for GCC.  As a result, we have to apply local
> patches, I am wondering if there is any future plan to support it on
> AArch64, or no one really uses it?

A GCC patch was merged for this already and is included in GCC 9.1.0 and above.
See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html#index-patchable_005ffunction_005fentry-function-attribute
And
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Instrumentation-Options.html#index-fpatchable-function-entry

Someone did not add it to the GCC 9 release notes though to highlight it.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

@ 2019-09-19  5:02   ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2019-09-19  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bin.Cheng
  Cc: GCC Development, Maxim Kuvyrkov, Li Bin, duwe, Szabolcs Nagy,

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:56 PM Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM Bin.Cheng <amker.cheng@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I read through previous messages which tried to support livepatching
> > in kernel for AArch64.
> > Following is the patch supporting mfentry:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-03/msg00756.html
> > And this is the last message about above thread:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-04/msg01093.html
> >
> > Here is another patch trying to support a general option, however. it
> > was not merged either.
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-12/msg01791.html
> >
> > If I read messages correctly, kernel part is not merged (partly)
> > because of waiting for GCC.  As a result, we have to apply local
> > patches, I am wondering if there is any future plan to support it on
> > AArch64, or no one really uses it?
>
> A GCC patch was merged for this already and is included in GCC 9.1.0 and above.
> See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html#index-patchable_005ffunction_005fentry-function-attribute
> And
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Instrumentation-Options.html#index-fpatchable-function-entry
>
> Someone did not add it to the GCC 9 release notes though to highlight it.
Note I Mean GCC 8 release notes as it was included in GCC 8.1.0 and above :).

Also see https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/13/340 for the Linux side of
discussion about this option :).

@ 2019-09-19  5:17     ` Bin.Cheng
From: Bin.Cheng @ 2019-09-19  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski
  Cc: GCC Development, Maxim Kuvyrkov, Li Bin, duwe, Szabolcs Nagy,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:56 PM Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 9:24 PM Bin.Cheng <amker.cheng@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I read through previous messages which tried to support livepatching
> > > in kernel for AArch64.
> > > Following is the patch supporting mfentry:
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-03/msg00756.html
> > > And this is the last message about above thread:
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-04/msg01093.html
> > >
> > > Here is another patch trying to support a general option, however. it
> > > was not merged either.
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2016-12/msg01791.html
> > >
> > > If I read messages correctly, kernel part is not merged (partly)
> > > because of waiting for GCC.  As a result, we have to apply local
> > > patches, I am wondering if there is any future plan to support it on
> > > AArch64, or no one really uses it?
> >
> > A GCC patch was merged for this already and is included in GCC 9.1.0 and above.
> > See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Common-Function-Attributes.html#index-patchable_005ffunction_005fentry-function-attribute
> > And
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-9.2.0/gcc/Instrumentation-Options.html#index-fpatchable-function-entry
> >
> > Someone did not add it to the GCC 9 release notes though to highlight it.
> Note I Mean GCC 8 release notes as it was included in GCC 8.1.0 and above :).
>
> Also see https://lkml.org/lkml/2017/10/13/340 for the Linux side of
> discussion about this option :).
Thank you very much, the option name changed several times and I
missed this one!

Thanks,
bin