* (no subject)
@ 2024-01-05  9:57 Nani Rodrigue
From: Nani Rodrigue @ 2024-01-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Good morning

Can I get the last version of an application of gcc for Windows ?

Thanks

* Re:
@ 2024-01-05 10:34 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2024-01-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nani Rodrigue; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, 5 Jan 2024 at 10:33, Nani Rodrigue via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Good morning
>
> Can I get the last version of an application of gcc for Windows ?

Not from here, no. See https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

There are also the https://nuwen.net/mingw.html and
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/download/ projects, but they both
use outdated versions of GCC at the moment.

* Re:
@ 2024-01-05 10:58   ` LIU Hao
From: LIU Hao @ 2024-01-05 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely, Nani Rodrigue; +Cc: gcc

在 2024/1/5 18:34, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc 写道:
> There are also the https://nuwen.net/mingw.html and
> https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/download/ projects, but they both
> use outdated versions of GCC at the moment.

Wrong mailing list; but anyway, for bleeding-edge updates, with other well managed packages, we
generally recommend https://www.msys2.org/.

--
Best regards,
LIU Hao

* Re: Re: No subject
@ 2024-01-05 13:44 ` Peter0x44
From: Peter0x44 @ 2024-01-05 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nanirodrigue123, Gcc

Since you mentioned windows 7 specifically, some of the suggestions
aren't really appropriate. I don't believe msys2 supports windows 7
anymore.

I'm also not the biggest fan of msys2, I think it brings in way too much
complexity for what it is. It's useful if you would like to obtain some
hard to build deps like Qt, or require the tooling necessary to run
autotools configure scripts. But most programmers (especially beginners)
don't really have a need for this.

My suggestion is w64devkit. It is a single zip to extract, and it can
work as far back as windows xp.
https://github.com/skeeto/w64devkit/releases/latest

Simply download and extract the latest zip here, and start the
"w64devkit.exe" contained. It starts a shell with gcc & friends already
present in your PATH, and you can begin compiling code in under 5
minutes.

* Re: No subject
@ 2024-01-05 16:59   ` LIU Hao
From: LIU Hao @ 2024-01-05 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter0x44, nanirodrigue123, Gcc

在 2024/1/5 21:44, Peter0x44 via Gcc 写道:
> Since you mentioned windows 7 specifically, some of the suggestions aren't really appropriate. I
> don't believe msys2 supports windows 7 anymore.

Nobody mentioned Windows 7... maybe you mistook the question mark? :|

MSYS2 itself no longer supports Windows 7, but it's always possible to cross-compile from a
supported system to Windows 7, or something even older like Windows XP or 2000. If you encounter an
issue, please let me know.

--
Best regards,
LIU Hao

* Re: No subject
@ 2024-01-05 17:05     ` Peter0x44
From: Peter0x44 @ 2024-01-05 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LIU Hao, Gcc

5 Jan 2024 5:00:03 pm LIU Hao <lh_mouse@126.com>:

> 在 2024/1/5 21:44, Peter0x44 via Gcc 写道:
>> Since you mentioned windows 7 specifically, some of the suggestions
>> aren't really appropriate. I don't believe msys2 supports windows 7
>> anymore.
>
> Nobody mentioned Windows 7... maybe you mistook the question mark? :|
>
> MSYS2 itself no longer supports Windows 7, but it's always possible to
> cross-compile from a supported system to Windows 7, or something even
> older like Windows XP or 2000. If you encounter an issue, please let me
> know.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> LIU Hao
You're right, I was reading this on my phone.

Sorry for the confusion.

My points about the complexity of msys2 still apply to me though, and
that's why I avoid it. I simply have no need for it, and I don't think
most people do. It is a very valuable service in certain scenarios, I
just don't think many of them apply to beginners who are asking this sort
of question.
It's getting far off-topic for the list though, so I'll end it here.